Have you met iOSLiveTV.com?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Giuly, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Giuly, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

macrumors 68040

Giuly

Hi,
    iOSLiveTV.com is a web-app that lets you watch most major TV stations from the US, UK, France, Germany and Italy on your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or Apple TV (via AirPlay) for free, from anywhere in the world.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Check it out!

2. macrumors regular

I like how the photo show it on wifi :) Indeed the only way this would work. You sure aren't going to be able to stream TV over the ridiculously slow 3G speeds in most areas. If I am in wifi range, I am at home and I can just watch my TV.

3. thread starter macrumors 68040

Giuly

It certainly won't work on EDGE, but it works fine on 7.2MBit/s HSPA.

4. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

Well sure, it is completely logical that since you don't have access to wifi at school, work, etc. that nobody else does either, therefore the logical conclusion is that this is useless.

By the way, I do get some bits of buffering on 3G, but it does work. My speeds are generally around 3.5mbit down.

5. macrumors 6502

I'm in the US, and the UK channels are perfect, while some of the US ones, like Speed, stutter and pause a lot. That's okay though, all I wanted was Eurosport and you gave it to me, so 5 stars!

6. macrumors regular

To the op thanks a lot for the information. This is why I love the forums.

7. macrumors 604

labman

thank op passing this on to my Twitter followers as well. it's not perfect as others have said some channels don't work sometimes on wifi or 3G and 3G you might have some buffering but that's the carrier fault really.

8. macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

If you have a iPhone I'm sure you have cable at home. So this stuff always pointless to me. Unless you want to sit on a bus/train to watch "TV" really? Lol...

9. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

Let's see...
    Lunch break, students, and sure, why not watch TV on the bus? This site clearly isn;t designed to replace your TV at home.

10. thread starter macrumors 68040

Giuly

The kicker here is that American cable providers don't give you European channels, and vice-versa.

There is actually a version that's more suited for your TV as it's a plugin for XBMC and Plex. It's called SuperTV.

11. macrumors 65816

Nice thanks for the supertv link

12. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

I appreciate that link. We were going to grab a tuner for the HTPC I recently built so that we don't have to keep swapping inputs. This may actually be a legitimate alternative. Going to check it out tonight.

13. macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Bookmarked!

14. macrumors 6502a

All of the "HD" channels just show advertising. The non-HD channels are mediocre. I notice that at least one of them has a FilmOn logo. FilmOn also streams and has been sued numerous times by networks. www.filmon.com

15. macrumors 68020

I don't know where you live and what kind of telecom plan you have, but over here in the Netherlands you can easily watch HD streams over a 3G connection - and that's with the cheaper telecom plans. Heck, you can even get plans with 3G speeds up to 28,8 Mbps.

16. macrumors 6502a

How long will it last though?

17. thread starter macrumors 68040

Giuly

Still running strong, and they've added even more channels now.

18. MICHAELSD, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

macrumors 68020

MICHAELSD

I could actually get a lot of use out of the site, won't need a Slingbox now at least. I don't have faith that traffic and legal issues won't bring it down soon, but it's impressive for now. Offering live streams of Showtime and Cinemax for free are definitely legal headaches waiting to happen.

After checking out the U.S. channels then U.K., I was disappointed to learn that only the U.K. channels are offered in HD since the "HD" quality remedied my almost-unwatchable-for-me complaints with SD content. The HD streams appear to be very high quality for a free live streaming site of this nature, so let's get them for U.S. channels too! Then the site will practically be perfect.

19. macrumors 6502

Thanks

20. macrumors member

wow this is pretty awesome! i hope it lasts!

21. macrumors 6502

How is this legal ????

22. macrumors 68000

pooleman

We do not have cable at our house but we have Netflix and AppleTV. HAs anyone tried using this service while mirroring to the AppleTV?

23. thread starter macrumors 68040

Giuly

Works fine. But if you have a (jailbroken) AppleTV 2, SuperTV is an option.

24. macrumors 603

nfl46

Why get cable when you can get a jailbroken Apple TV 2...lol.

XBMC is awesome!

Thanks for the link, OP.

25. macrumors 6502a

Holy cow, this can't last another day...the addition of more, ahem, channels is...interesting. Gotta go watch some more tv.