Have you reached a "point of no return?"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Dec 13, 2006.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Have you reached “point of no return” on something? Each person has a different milestone in one’s life. For some people, they are stuck in unhappy marriage. Some are stuck in the same career field. Some are set in certain world view. This can be anything.

Regardless of what that is, once you have gone too far into it, you cannot change the course and have to stay the course. Thus, a point of no return; no turning back. If you have felt this point of no return feeling, please post what that is and when you felt that point has reached.

2. vniow macrumors G4

Yep, just the other night actually. I said something that I've been very very careful about saying in the past (or not saying rather) but it came out. And I can't just keep ignoring it but I have so much to lose if I screw this up. :eek:

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yep. 15 months ago. And soon to go much further beyond. ;)
    Good thing too, resigning yourself to the inevitable.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There's something satisfying yet thrilling about making these decisions. I'd hate to be someone who lived a safe and easy life, making no major decisions.

5. skd macrumors 6502

It happened in 1967 when I told my parents I was going to see a movie, but instead went to the Monterey Pop Festival and saw Jimi Hendrix.

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Here's to infinity and beyond. :)

7. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Choosing a degree course, moving home, getting married, having children. These are all points of 'no return' for your average adult. On the other hand, you could say nobody reaches a point of no return this side of death since you can cut 'n' run from anything.

...as opposed to making mysterious-sounding posts without actually saying anything. ;)

8. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

don't we all do "point-of-no-return" stuff everyday? it is just, somethings we don't notice because some are such "small" decisions?

good thread though, it makes one start thinking about stuff...

9. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

well.... I'm changing my major from Mechanical to Environmental Engineering tomorrow.... but that's about it.

Although there was a time a while ago when I realized I'd gotten into a relationship that I hadn't really planned to have happen. But I became more sure of my decision as time went on, so all is well.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

all the time.

not that long ago i found myself miserable and hopeless and then some things (drastic things) presented themselves and since it seemed right, i went for it. i've never been happier.

11. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Just recently i was feeling low. I made the decision to join a gym. Choose a job for the money over my preferences. Luckily it ends in February or earlier. Choose to be single to find myself. Am still looking. Hurt someone's feeling to please myself. And that is all in the last month. Saving my money for no reason at all.

12. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

A few minutes ago I finished eating a sandwich. I can't un-eat the sandwich. Yup I am stuck with my sandwich. Sure I could puke, but thats not really uneating it. Nope, I ate the sandwich and thats that. I am now in the process of breaking it down and turning it into me and excrement. It was a good sandwich... I might eat another. Perhaps more mayo this time.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

AmbitiousLemon, that means nothing without pics!

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

but was there ever a point when you knew there was no turning back? That sandwich was pwned! :D
    (was it made out of ticky-tacky? ;) - just noticed the 'tar and location)

15. bozigle macrumors regular

You see it's king of funny this "point of no return".
    plenty of people do make their decision in order to have a more stable and controled life and end up being in those "no return".
    some people choose a 9-5 well paid job over freelance and struglleling everyday, not knowing if there will be food tomorrow.
    You go into marriage and give up on all the opportunities that can come by...
    I don't think it's a bad thing, what you call your "no return point" is what many call "confort zone"... some time the grass seems greener, and the girls/boys prettiers outside but you've ended up there on your own will (i hope) and there is good reason for it: that is what make you confortable and suficiently happy.
    It doesn't mean you can't increase this zone... (cheating on your partner is NOT a way to increase it) or even leave it at some point.
    More and more people, after working for corporation decide to go for badly-paid NGO instead... and some of my friends get tired of freelancing and want to have more stability and went for corporation.

The only real "no return point" is probably death and i hope i didn't reach it yet... also wouldn't it be fun if afterlife would be populated by mac-geeks?

bozigle

16. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Only the fool declares a point of no return. You can always do something about it.

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

like denial or skills with consealed evidence. *poof* "It was the dog, honey!"

18. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

The only definite point of no return in my own life I can think about was my own birth :eek:

Everything else can be changed - of course many things can't be undone, but they can be gotten around.

19. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I came over all Confucious there for a moment.

That post should be read with an erhu accompanyment :p

20. Queso macrumors G4

Several milestones here, but no real Points Of No Return.

21. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I'm coming to a critical juncture in my life right now.

A relationship is blossoming with someone in the states, I have been looking at getting a degree out there and this 'relationship' is making me seriously consider the degree program. I wont be moving to the USA just for the relationship, they have just co-incided at the same time.

Do I .... give up my well paid 8 - 4 job here in the UK (I am so bored it's painful). Give up my prospects of owning my own property here and go and persuse this would-be short lived life in the states and see where it takes me in the future.

It's scary how fast the time is passing, I dont want to end up stuck and wishing I had done something.

I am currently leaning on the moving idea :)

22. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If i was in your position I would of left England ages ago. If theres even a sniff of a chance to get away from this crap hole, I'm calling shot gun!

However I have just bought my first house (way too expensive in England) so im stuck here for a while.

23. Queso macrumors G4

Get out there. If it works out your life has improved immeasurably. Even if it goes tits up at least you saw a bit of the world in the process.

You only get 70 years or so on the rock then that's it. Make the most of them.

24. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Heheh, you need to get out more. :p

I have an erhu. I'll work on a loop for you. :D

25. shecky Guest

shecky

does nonrefundable tuition count as a point of no return?