Have you seen this copy of LOTR before?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jethroted, Jun 15, 2003.

1. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

I bought this at a garage sale for $75. I think it was an estate sale of sorts, because the were selling everything the guy owned. Even his clothes. There was alot of LOTR stuff there, so he was obviously a collector, but nothing caught my eye like this book. The book claims to be "one of a kind". I think it is possible since I have never seen it on ebay, or anywhere else before. Has anyone here seen the book before? Another strange thing avout the book is that it has all three books in one, but it lists them as 6 books in the table of contents.

I. The first Journey
    II. The Journey of the nine Companions
    III. The treason of Isengard
    IV. The Journey of the Ringbearers
    V. The war of the Ring
    VI.The End of the Third Age

Attached Files:

2. astray macrumors member

I dunno about this being one of a kind, but i have however come across the contents being listed as 6 books instead of three.

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I believe the original book was divided like that, with headings. LORT is always divided into 6 books, 2 books per section, when it's a complete volume. Some of the latter 3 volume sets dropped the titles is all.

What's the pulication date and house, that'll tell you more about it.

Looks like an old one to me.

4. jethroted thread starter macrumors 6502a

jethroted

There is no info in it as far as who printed it, or when it was made. Another very strange feature of the book. The leather on the cover is also very raw, and unfinished. No dye or polishing.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations on a great find, jethroted! You should take the book to a reputable antique dealer.

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

This page has a list of collectable Tolkien books. I don't see yours on their though a picture of the end of the book would help. I would email the webmaster and see if he knows anything about your book. I seem to remember the all inclusive books but I have never seen one with such little detail and artistry on the cover.

http://derhobbit-film.de/collecting-tolkien.shtml?e#alibris

7. jethroted thread starter macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Do you mean a picture of the spine? If you want to see that, let me know and I'll post it.

8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes please. :)

Very intresting.

9. jethroted thread starter macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Here you go!

Attached Files:

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Yeah that's what I wanted sorry I was having a mental block earlier on what to call it.

That's very very interesting. As I have said before I have never seen a Tolkien book in one solid color with nothing but text on it. They usually have a dual or three color cover or they have graphics or some sort of artistry on them. It definitely looks like some sort of one off. Maybe a rebound book.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

12. jethroted thread starter macrumors 6502a

jethroted

A pirated copy? I hope it's not, because I spent $75 on it. I've never really seen a pirated book before though. Wouldn't it cost a lot more to make the book then to go and buy it? I hope it's legit. :eek:

Also, I don't think it's just a rebund book, because I have not seen a copy of LOTR with those font styles in it before. Also the books size is huge! It's dimensions are;

12 inches long, 9 inches wide, and 3.5 inches thick.

This thing is the biggest copy I have ever seen. That's another reason why I don't think it's a rebound copy.

13. JBracy macrumors regular

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the first release in the US was a pirate copy. I think I read it in the intro to the current printing. Something to do with publishing rights and UK copyright or something.

14. medea macrumors 68030

medea

15. jethroted thread starter macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Yeah Macbandit mentioned that place, so I emailed the guy there. Still waiting to hear back from him though.

16. evil macrumors 6502

even though i could care less about the tolkien stuff this is quite interesting.
    please post any updates that you find out about your book.
    its like watching antiques road show or something

17. jethroted thread starter macrumors 6502a

jethroted

I don't really think that it is an antique. The logo on the front was one of the original logos they were going to use for the movie, but changed their mind to the one they use now. It seems like it is only a few years old at the most. If it isn't , then it has been cared for very carefully. It's in mint to excellent shape.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's highly likely; in fact, without any printing or copyright info anywhere in the book, it would be my number one guess as to the origins of the book.

Not too long ago, book pirating was a very profitable industry. Pirates made a mint pressing DH Lawrence's books. There's about two ways they can do it: the photographic method (looks like a photocopy; text is not as clear as an original printing) or they can reset the whole thing (it will have some parts missing; spelling might be changed; typos will be present). It wasn't like they just pressed a one-off; they would make huge runs of the books and peddle them to booksellers or direct to customers.

19. jethroted thread starter macrumors 6502a

jethroted

If that was the case wouldn't there be more people out there who have seen it before? By the way, the guy from the web site you guys posted has not seen it before, and he has seen it all. I'm sure he would have run accross it at some point. Don't you? I've been doing a ton of searching to find this thing anywhere, and I have not seen it even once. Not even something close to it.

20. jethroted thread starter macrumors 6502a

jethroted

OK, I sent the photo to a couple of people who might know something about the books. We will see what they have to say.

21. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Though since you bought this at a garage sale it's probably not likely, my guess is that the book is probably a early copy or mock up of a version that was brought out befor the movie came out. Didn't you ask the people at the garage sale?

22. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I started thinking about it and I know a few obsessive people personally that would just for the hell of it make their own copy of a book just to do it. Some of these people have their own printing business including press so they could just do that. Simply put if someone has enough money or enough time they can do anything especially if they are slightly obsessive.

23. jethroted thread starter macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Like I said, I think it was an estate sale. No one really knew what was what. They were pretty intent on just trying to get rid of all the crap that was there.

24. marlow macrumors newbie

Growing up I had aquired several copies of LOTR that looked similar but not exactly like the one pictured. There was one I remember advertised in one of the Tolkien newsletters I subscribed to that looked, from memory, the same, at least the single volume gold on 'natural brown leather'. Coost was $65 or $75 at the time. (it was being sold as a collectible, so you're on par at least. This would have been late '78-'84ish. Your book may well have been released with a dust cover as most leather bound books are. The dust cover would have contained the publishing information. The idea was to have the book seem authentic to a lucky child or true believer; once the cover is removed. "Authentic" as in from Middle Earth. Look close for discoloration that might clue a cover. Also smell the book, literally open it and stick your nose so you get a full sniff of the thing near the bind. Don't touch your nose to the paper in case it really is super old, but I doubt it. If you don't smell a musty smell it's not too terribly old. It's not like ziploc and tupperware have been around forever, so it can't be too fresh, paper will take moisture from the air. If you smell any sort of ink, like a newspaper, it's not too old. Also check the edges for disoloration, another sign of age and quality. Also check the glued areas, the leather and the bind. Any sign of deterioration of the glue, not 'rot', but basic break down.
    Now that you feel like a complete moron for sniffing and picking the book like a dog with a new friend you can look at some obvious things. Quality of type. Old type was set page by page in lead, there will be differences in letters even on the same page due to the inpurity of the type lead which was re-used infinately. The cleaner the type the newer the book. 'Dirty' type doesn't make it an old book though. My father's printing company was using lead type to print Dungeons and Dragons books on one side of the plant while the other half was running the most cutting edge presses to print the Star Wars heat transfers. ( I was in geek heaven growing up :) ) Also look at the paper. The 'flecks' look too 'pretty', they are probably meant to make it look older, a true period craft book would more than likely be of a higher grade without the speckles as much as possible as opposed to having them 'showcased'. Impurities would have been a sign of lower grade paper for handcrafted books.
    Bottom line here should really be how much YOU treasure the book personally. If you cherish it as a find, it is priceless to you and you can carry as much fantasy in it as you did or still do in the stories it houses. If you bought it as an investment, it's only worth what someone will pay you. It's not like you can take the book to the bank and cash it.
    If you are so inclined to research further I would try to find copies of the "Fellowship of the Ring" and other newsletters. The one I remember the ad from was basically an 8 page (two 11"x17" folded and nested sheets) newsletter; printed black on ecru paper of about 100# text weight. I'm specific there because I can't for the life of me remember the exact name, just the excitement I had getting each one in the mail. It came fan folded to #10 envelope size.
    Good luck and enjoy your book.

25. jethroted thread starter macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Well judging by the things you have listed, it does not seem to be that old. Although I don't think there ever was a sleeve, because the guy who had it, took amazing care of it, and for him to lose the sleeve seems unlikely. It is pricless to me, and I am not really trying to find a monitary value as much as I'm trying to see where it came from out of curiosity. It's an absolutly beautiful book, and is quite a mystery. It's also a lot of fun trying to solve the mystery of it all I think.