Have You Tried Ambien?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACDRIVE, Jun 28, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Have you tried Ambien or some other form of sleep aid? What would you recommend for a sleep aid? A lot of times I stay up late visiting MacRumors when I should probably be asleep. :)

2. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

from lilstewart
    (i'm authorized to post for him while he's gone, don't worry)

3. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

^^ Thankyou for the link you posted. I just finished reading the entire thread. Ambien sounds like some real good stuff. :)

4. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

It is very beneficial for many takers ... on the selected times I used it, results were not all that impressive. As with medications, one's mileage can vary dramatically.

5. losteverything2, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

losteverything2 macrumors newbie

I have taken Ambien for a few years due to night shift work. I went to a swing shift and now am not working. But after 18 years of night shift I can't get to sleep before 5 or 6 am. I just lay there. I started taking 20mg at bedtime and immediately noticed I was telling my boyfriend things I did not remember. I once got up and put a dozen eggs on to boil and went back to bed. I have a old stove that works sometimes, Thank GOD it did not work. The eggs did not get cooked and no fire. I have been so depressed after I wake up the next day. I just have to stop the Ambien and deal with the sleep problem. My boyfriend has slept on the couch a couple of times because I am trashing around and talking to him.

visit: http://www.ambiencheap.com/

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I've taken zopiclone a fair few times which is a very similar drug.

IMO they're not the type of thing you want to be taking regularly, they're addictive and can really mess with your head especially your memory.

I only use it to break cycles, when I can't sleep due to feeling stressed out this often feeds back on itself as not sleeping well tends to make me more likely to not sleep well. Taking a zopiclone one night will just break this cycle and I'll be able to return to my usual patterns.

edit: holy threadromancy batman!

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ambien requires a prescription, of course. I use over the counter Tylenol PM to help me sleep. There are other things on the market that contain melatonin (sp?) which is a chemical in the brain that has something to do with regulating sleep. If you have a serious insomnia problem, see a doctor.

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

This think is almost half a decade old!

Insomniacs, try melatonin before actual sleeping pills due to the lesser side effects, lower costs, and complete lack of potential dependency :)

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I have a full script of Lorazepam. What am I bid??

It's a little old, about 8 years. lol

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I use melatonin. One pill of that and twenty minutes of Breaking Bad are enough to put me to sleep.

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I wouldn't use it. The short acting and highly potent benzodiazepines, such as Ativan (lorezepam) and Xanax (alprazolam), have both been linked to short term memory loss, and some studies under way are starting to suggest that the memory loss effects may not stop after discontinuation of the medication. With that said, the memory loss is almost exclusively observed in people using it on a more frequent basis at a moderate to high dose, but the medications clearly do have the potential for amnesia-related effects.

Issues like this are less common, but still do occur, with longer acting benzodiazepines such as Clonazepam, Librium, Cloxazolam, etc, and it seems even the longest acting ones (ex Valium) still have this potential.

Sleeping medications, such as zolpidem (Ambien) and Eszopiclone (Lunesta) constitute a newer and different class of benzos that were initially touted as not having memory loss issues; how they really are related to memory loss is still debated and in the progress of being studied, but there are MANY end-user (patient) reports on both causing short term memory loss. Because of that, we must consider that these newer sleeping medications may impact memory, (predominantly short term).

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No fear. I have no problem sleeping.

I was looking for someone willing to give me $$$$ for it. :p

14. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Ambien has worked well for me the few times I have taken it. I work very strange hours and sometimes I absolutely need to sleep in order to be ready for the next day. I have noticed that I do seem to get bad headaches the next day when I use the stuff, I almost never get headaches so I blame it on the Ambien.

Be prepared for some wicked dreams if you do end up using it.

15. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

Marijuana is THE BEST sleep aid you will ever have.

I'm being 100% serious.

16. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I can't say I know much about how pot makes you sleep but the user name has me laughing hysterically. I am now waiting for George Lucas to tell us about the benefit of crack cocaine.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

What you fail to understand is that the profit and taxation motive of society abhors a product that you can grow in your own back yard. :rolleyes:

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Are you equating marijuana with crack cocaine? :confused:

19. Thomas Veil, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The only problem I have sleeping is that as soon as my head hits the pillow, that damn luminous green moth starts flitting around my head.

All right, all right, I'll be serious.

Yeah, this is the kind of thing that worries me about taking sleep aids. Though the worst reaction I usually have is still feeling sleepy and draggy until noon of the day after I take it.

I came to the conclusion that there is nothing like good old-fashioned remedies. Taken in moderate doses, there are no after effects the next morning:

[​IMG]

I have also found relaxation techniques to work at times. Things like this:

• Breath in slowly.
    • Hold your breath for 30 seconds.
    • Breathe out slowly.
    • Repeat.
    I used to think that was total BS. It sounds so simple it shouldn't work, right? Well, it's been known to help me. It's not the guaranteed ride that Ambien is; it might not work for you. But I'd try it before taking a pill.

Personally, I can't fall asleep unless I'm hearing something, like the TV. Since falling asleep in front of it tends to tick off my wife, who does not appreciate half of the bed going empty, I keep a little pillow speaker under my pillow, attached to a little CD player, and I listen until I fall asleep. Works for me, anyway.

LOL. Good catch!

20. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Of course not. It was more about Steve Jobs telling us to try some pot which had me laughing hysterically. Imagine at the next Apple conference is he introduced a "weed" app.