Have your very own mac mini server

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Daveway, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

www.macminiservers.com

I found this web site today. This company offers a service to host your web site from a mac mini at their facility. You lease the mac mini for $2 a day and its all yours. Seems like a neat idea because companies can stack them up without a monitor.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Seems like quite a good idea. I'd hardly say it's robust and reliable though. A 4200RPM laptop drive with no redundancy spinning 24hrs a day does not seem to be all that reliable to me, no matter what OS is running on it.

3. brap macrumors 68000

I thought this was a repost, turns out it's just someone doing the exact same thing.

4. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

good point but i'm sure they put thought into this for awhile. They may have upgraded the drives.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Very much doubt it. But even *if* they did, a 5400RPM drive would be much better :(

6. Engagebot macrumors regular

This is ridiculous.

who in the frick cares what machine they're stuff is hosted on. You'll never even see it. you'll never even know if it was a mac mini.

NEWS FLASH: $2 a day is not a good deal. they want $20/month, which is $240 a year. I've got some domains that run on some 2.4 ghz P4 Linux machines with 1Gb ram and SCSI hard drives. Not to mention daily backups are included in the service plan. guess how much it costs? $3.50 a month. that's 11.1 cents a day for you math scholars out there.

it may not be a pretty server, but when I punch up my web domains, guess what? they're always there.

7. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Edesignuk, what makes 3.5 inch drives any better or more reliable.

8. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Woah! Hold up - does this mean I can not leave a mac mini on 24/7 when if get one??? I do that to my PC...

9. Bear macrumors G3

You can leave it on. A Mac spins down the disk when it's idle.
    A server can't afford the luxary of spinning its disks down and back up. The delay would be unreasonable.

10. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

well, i use asmallorange for my hosting needs, you cant bea the price + the service.

But I would definitely get something like this for QuickTime Streaming. Just dump OSX server on it, and you're done.

Whoever set this whole thing up has done well do get everything sorted within 1 month!

/asif

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3.5" disks in RAID or backed up to tape drive etc. Neither of whch they will be doing with these Minis.

12. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

OK, I thought you ment that just the drive in the mini was no good, not the backup system that they were running for the minis.

13. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

you can set your drives not to "sleep" at all... the one inmy G5 is allways 'on' because I hated the delay when running photoshop and waiting for the drive to kick in when I wanted to save or open a file...