Have your Wii questions answered by folks more knowledgable!

Discussion in 'Games' started by BurtonCCC, Sep 2, 2006.

1. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I thought it would be beneficial to have one thread where users can ask questions about the Wii and have them answered by the users who know quite a bit about the system.

My questions:
    1. Will the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi thingy for DS work with the Wii? Because I just can't seem to get my AirPort Express to work with my DS unless I have no security whatsoever.
    2. Have there been any press releases about how large the save files will be? Will the 512KB of internal memory be enough to hold files for, let's say, 5 games?

Daniel.

2. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

The Internal flash ram will be 512 MEGAbytes, not kilo. I think it might be plenty to get started off with. But when you see how cheap SD cards are getting (the Wii uses SD cards for expandable flash ram), getting up to 4 o 8 gigs won't be a problem...and I think 8 gigs should be fine for me personally.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

And you can use USB harddrives..

4. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Ooh, typo, my bad. All I need to know was that it'll get my through until I find a good deal on a GB SD card.

Daniel.

5. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Haha, that was my next question. If I really want to get stylish and blow some dough, I'll get two 1 GB iPod Shuffles for my memory cards. ;)

Daniel.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm thinking of buying a new HDD enclosure to match my Wii (probably the white model), I'm half tempted to go overkill and buy a 300gb (£70) hard drive for it. I am very interested to see what homebrew appears for the Wii.

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

1. You have to have a PC to use the USB Wi-Fi from Nintendo. As for your AP Express, I don't believe it's one of the models the DS supports. Check Nintendo's website for more info.

8. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

gamesaves are tiny; on my cube, I have a 16MB memory card with ten games saved on it and i'm not even filling one quarter of it. If you're just worried about gamesaves, that 512MB could probably hold saves for the entire wii library for years. to say a 300GB usb hard drive for gamesaves alone would be overkill would be an understatement.

The only thing you would need more memory for is virtual console games and any other downloadable content that may or may not be available.

9. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I have one super duper question...
    WHy cant i have one now???

10. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Airport Express is one of the highest ranked routers for the DS, it's recommended by Nintendo.

edit: WAS.
    http://www.nintendowifi.com/customersupport/routerSelect.do?manufacturer=Apple

11. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

12. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

It's still there, you just can't link to it. You have to find it manually. I did and I think it actually solved my problem. Can't wait to get back to the dorm room to try it out.

Daniel.

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Alright :) I've actually played the system and cover it for NintendoPlayers so I know quite a bit.
    While I can't guarantee it, I would imagine it should work. Nothing official though.

The Wii has 512 MB of internal memory, not kb. Considering that a PS2 memory card is 8 MB and an XBox 360 memory card is 64 MB...I'd say the Wii will probably be able to hold all the savegames you'd ever need, and you'll only fill the space with, say, updates, demos, and Virtual Console games.

SD cards can be used for expansion, and Nintendo has hinted strongly about USB storage though no official press releases about USB hard drives.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That's been strongly hinted at by a Nintendo rep but not officially stated by the company so we can't be 100% sure you can use ANYTHING.

15. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Good to know I can use my USB HDs for Wii saves. Wonder if people will be able to swap saves?

Edit: Just a hint? DARN it.

16. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

Ok so I am very confused... Is the wii coming out in october or november??

-Matthew

17. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

We don't know yet for sure. It will be announced on the 14th.

Daniel.

P.S. How's school so far?

18. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Actully next tuesday..:p

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

To be exact:

Remember, though, that things stated by company officials and not officially announced are subject to change. In 2004 Iwata said the Revolution would output to computer monitors, but since it wasn't an official announcement Nintendo didn't have to clarify when they decided to take out that feature.

20. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Oh, stop. :)

Daniel.

21. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Hmm... I'm planning on trying to pick up a camera that uses CompactFlash instead of SD and I plan on getting a pretty hefty card with it. I think the Wii's internal memory is going to be enough for me, but if I ever needed more, do you think I could hook my card reader into one of the USB ports and be on my way?

Daniel.

22. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Depends on what periphierals the wii can take....we will find out soon enough hopefully...
    But if you plane i just playing normal disc games and maybe a few virtual CONCOLE games im sure you will be fine!

And thanks for changing your sig..the other one was a little..

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

24. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

That is something that no one on macrumors can help you with;)

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Probably, but working under the assumption that the Wii can read FAT32. It's always possible Nintendo might require you to format your USB storage to some Nintendo format to prevent piracy, or they may put an iTunes-style DRM on the files and let FAT32 works.

Let's hope for the latter.