Haven't had problems in a long while (if ever) thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PHARAOHk, Jun 10, 2004.

1. PHARAOHk macrumors regular

Feb 19, 2003
    Thought I would post some positivity. I really couldn't be happier with my setup. My first mac was a 17" PB that I just gave to my dad who is presently giving lots of lectures. He couldn't be happier either. His PC crashed a couple of times and we both thought OSX provides more stability and a larger screenestate for monitoring his presentations.

Frankly speaking my 17 never gave me problems for over a year and I have never lost any data period. I am using my computer out and about a lot more and the size was burdensome. For lectures and true desktop replacement the 17 has it's place but not for daily travels.

My current set up is a 12" PB and a 17" Studio Display. For the same price spent on just the 17 I now have an excellent portable and at home have a ton of screenestate. I have no stuck or dead pixels on either and the 12 is actually faster then my older 17.

I feel like this is definitely the sweet spot for an all mac set up. I have my roommates PC desktop wired to the Airport and I can roam around or be in my room online wirelessly. I am on the porch outside typing now! No problems to speak of after a couple months.

I am a SUPER happy switcher and my sister just got an iBook she is really happy with.

Lets hear some more good experiences
  2. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    i bought my 667pb off a guy on ebay about 2 years ago. the guy really didn't know what he was doing with it. he actually wasn't using paypal correctly either. since then, i'm loaded with pro video and motion effect apps. i can do alot of work at home - most of the time with several different firewire drive brands. i've always upgraded to jaguar and panther, never did an archive and install. i've had one problem with my computer since getting it though. and it had to do with installing a third party app. might have been dragthing. i lost all of my preferences. luckily though, everything was backed up on my 1st gen ipod - which still has 3 hours of battery life.
  3. reaper macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2004
    19th Hole
    I must say, I switched a little over a year ago and it has been a great experience! I love the interface of OS X, the integration of the hardware components with the software and the overall level of detail showed by Apple every step of the way.

I never thought that a computing environment could be so intuitive. It just seems that if you don't know something about the OS, and you think logically "where would that be?" you can usually figure it out, which is definitely not the case on a Windows machine. In fact, I have even given up my laptop PC and am going to purchase a PB (I will then own only Macs)when I finally save up enough money.

The only time I have ever had a problem was when I installed a third-party superdrive (pioneer dvr-106) and hadsome kernel panics, but that was my fault and I quickly learned how to avoid them from happening. Yes, I must say that, all in all, OS X is definitely the most stable, easiest to use and greatest looking OS around!

- reaper
  4. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    my 12" pb rocks!!! similar to PHARAOHk i have a monitor (19"CRT) set up at home that i 'dock' to. so i have an awsome desktop machine and the coolest portable setup! the only problems i have ever had are with iPhoto and any M$ program running (wich isnt very often). i think M$ builds in a spontaneous crash or close progarm function within every program they make. but the best product ever would have to be my 10GB 1st gen iPod. although i have almost filled my 10GB the battery life still rocks, b/w 8 and 9 hours. (and i have had it for more than 2 years now). i must say though the iBook i had before the pb was about as good as a wintel laptop. but it was the one with the logic board problem that apple will now fix for free, ive never seen a wintel company do that with their hardware after the initial warntee was up!!! so even problems with apple are delt with in a very good manner!!!
  5. boomtopper macrumors member

Mar 25, 2004
    UK Huddersfield
    THe first mac i ever bought was a powermac 1.6 when they first came out. I remeber when i was opening it, it reminded me of the first computer that i had ever bought. It even had the smell of a new computer which i just love. But from the word "go" it has been the best experience in computing. Never have i been so happy with a computer. Buying my first Mac was like buying my first PC but 10 times better. I have never had a single problem with them and i could never go back to a PC ever again!
  6. mms macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
    My several-month old 1st gen. G4 iBook hasn't given me any problems, and installing RAM and an Airport Extreme card was simple as well. The other computers in the house (all Macs... Windows free!!) have never had major problems either. The 6400/180, G3 PB 333, G4 PB 800, G4 Cube 500 have all run smoothly, with only one case that hardware support was needed. OS X is rock stable too, and I've maybe had one kernel panic on all of my OS X machines.
  7. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2003
    I switched about a year ago too! Right near the end of June. I never knew it was possible to love a computer and follow a company like a religion until I joined the Apple Macintosh Cult. :D
  8. Crikey macrumors 6502

Jan 14, 2004
    Spencer's Butte, Oregon
    I bought a QuickSilver dual-800MHz G4 tower in August 2002; it had been the demo unit at a store. It's a great machine. I've had zero problems with hardware or software, and I've upgraded it from 10.1 through Jaguar and now Panther, always just a plain upgrade without archive-and-install or reformatting. I've added a lot of accessories to it -- a Sonnet Tempo Trio (a PCI card with dual ATA-133 controllers, two extra FireWire Ports, and three USB 2.0 ports), a large second internal hard disk, AirPort card, FireWire CompactFlash card reader, USB RS232 port adapter, FireWire external hard disk, third-party two-button scroll mouse (of course ;-), USB Flash drive, MOTU 828mkII external FireWire audio interface, a USB MIDI music keyboard, my Palm, and an iPod. It plugs and plays with all this stuff, as well as with my sweetie's digital camera.

I have added a lot of software, too, although I don't really go for the more hackish type of system extensions/Dock replacements that one might expect to cause problems.

Before I had my Mac, I had PCs running various versions of Windows, Linux, and BeOS, and I still have some of them. I also had a Silicon Graphics Indy. The Mac does everything I want: it's a symmetric-multiprocessing Unix workstation, and it's a terrific user-friendly computer that runs all the consumer software I need. I hardly use anything else any more, even though one of the PCs is clocked faster than both G4 CPUs added together.

The Mac "just works", and moreover, works in a way that is more fun to use.

I love a computer that ships with a complete development environment, too. Now that you can download the Java Development Kit, and basic versions of Borland Delphi and C++, maybe that's not such a big deal, but Apple's development kit is nicer.

This computer was made in 2001 and three years later doesn't feel at all slow or obsolescent. It's a delight!

Complaints? It runs a little loud. And the only analog audio input or output it had was a single headphone jack (until I added the MOTU, which RAWKS). I see that the G5s run quietly, and have built-in analog and digital audio I/O, so if the QuickSilver ever starts feeling slow I know what will replace it.

Maybe that might happen when Apple upgrades to MacOS X 10.5, "Tabby".

9. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I love my Macs

The only problems that I have ever had with Apple products was back when I got my PM 6500 it came with a bad modem card, it was quickly fixed without hassle. Other than that I have been problem free. Currently I have a FW800 1Ghz, a new 15" PowerBook 1.5Ghz and a 3G 20Gb iPod. All are wonderful.
    The PowerBook is the newest and the first computer that I have not had to share with My family. Has the best screen that I have ever had the pleasure of using, not a bad pixel anywhere.

No complaints whatsoever :) .
  10. the future macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Off-topic: is that FW800 1GHz G4 as silent as I hope it is? I'm looking on ebay for a cheap tower and from all I heard it is supposed to be the most silent of the newer G4s.

On-topic: 1 Performa, 1 G3 iMac, 4 PowerBooks, 0 problems! :)
  11. Squire macrumors 68000

Jan 8, 2003
    reaper, you hit the nail directly on the head. Your statements accurately sum up my experience with my 1 GHz 17" iMac-especially the "where would that be?" comment. I have never had a problem with it. (Well, anything that could be classified as a problem at first, ended up being my own stupidity.)

I had been drooling over the iMacs for quite some time when my retired parents wanted me to recommend a computer. Without hesitation, I pointed them towards the iMac. The funny thing is, I taught them how to set it up and use it without any Mac experience. "Intuitive" is simply an understatement; it's more like a "telepathic" OS.

I also have a 20 GB iPod which is a real gem as well.

Problems? Like I said above, none with the iMac. (My iPod's HD decided to keep spinning the first day I got it. Never had a problem since.) Recently, though, I ran into some little "speed bumps" while burning an iDVD project. I was warned about having too little HD space and it ended up causing me some stress. (Incidentally, I just bought a 120 gig external HD today for my next project.)

I do have an unsightly XP machine on the desk beside my Mac. Unfortunately, a few sites don't seem to be mac-compatible over here (banks and my uni site). However, I try to avoid using it whenever possible.