Haven't touched Apple TV in months, now it's not working.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mrat93, Aug 11, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

Dec 30, 2006
    So I started to unhook my Apple TV from my home theater closet so I can sell it. I haven't used it in months.

After everything is unhooked, I realized that I should restore it, update the firmware, etc...

Since it would take forever to hook everything back up in my home theater closet, I hooked it up in my bedroom. It used to be connected via component cables, now i hooked it up via HDMI.

Now, the Apple TV shows a blinking amber light, with nothing on the screen. I followed Apple's directions to reset and restore, but it seems impossible because I can't see anything on the screen. Has anybody else had this issue? Thanks.
  2. thread starter macrumors 65816

Dec 30, 2006
    Sorry to post again, but I want to try to sell my Apple TV before the September 1 event. Does ANYBODY have any suggestions on what I could do? Is it possible to restore it by directly plugging into a computer? Thanks.
  3. macrumors member

Jul 18, 2010
    Just came home tonight to find mine in the same condition. I use it frequently. Best I can tell after working with it for a while the hard drive is shot. Don't know there is much you can do. Mine is still under warranty but I may wait to see what happens Tuesday before I return it.
  4. macrumors 601

Feb 8, 2004
    Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    This problem usually means that the hard drive has conked out. I've been there a few times myself. Remember the :apple:TV is an "always on" device- just because you don't use it for months doesn't mean photos are not streaming by continuously 365/24/7, unless you go to the extra step to put it in "standby" mode.

A good solution is to go on ebay and buy one of the :apple:TV hard drive replacement. There's a guy there that sells 320gb replacement drives for around $120, and that works good. I've done it a few times with my own :apple:TVs. They come ready to go (software on board). You just replace the bad drive and you end up with a fresh toy.

Else, you can try to sell it "as is", but I doubt you'll get much for what appears to the buyer to be a broken :apple:TV.

Yes, I know that $120 is more than $99- the rumored price of a new iTV- but if you do get the :apple:TV working again, it can always be used elsewhere in the home (as mine will be used).