Having a bad day, check out this

Discussion in 'Community' started by wdlove, Dec 13, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

WTF??? :eek:

That is the most disturbing post I have seen in a long time - thanks for the nightmares!

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

And it's that type of reaction which makes me feel for her and her parents even more :(

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

5. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Muncle - So sorry if you read into my reaction - I do find the story very heartwarming/heartbreaking. As a person with a downs syndrome nephew, a cerebral palsied niece and another nephew with post-operative brain cancer in my family believe me I would be the last to just stare or make fun of anyone with any disability. I do feel bad for the child and her parents – they will be facing a lifetime of hardships and ostracism. My “nightmares,” come from the fact that I have 3 couples that are very close to me that are having babies in the next 3-5 months. I would hate for something like this to happen to their lives.

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Thanks for clearing that up aricher. Sorry if I jumped to conclusions, it's just that too often you run into people who don't realise how upsetting their stares or comments can be, as I'm sure you've experienced yourself.

And I know what you mean about it being nerve wrecking. My cousin has just given birth to a beautiful baby girl two days ago and the 'what if' thoughts do you run through your head. Obviously you wouldn't love the child any less but it does make it hard.

Best wishes to your friends aricher, you've got a busy few of months ahead of you! :)

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

As a new parent, that's a tough one to think about, heartbreaking. Really sad and they're going to have a long road ahead of them. I hope they manage through the next 30 surgeries....

D

8. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

9. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

How very sensitive and mature. :rolleyes:

10. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Yikes... that can't be healthy...

And although I hope that she lives, I wonder what her life will be like.....

12. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Do i hear the Ripley's Believe it or not vans coming?

13. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, she has eyes. Juliana doesn't have the normal orbit bones to form the eye socket. The surgeries are to graft new bones.

The think that I found very heart warming was the fathers comment, "God never gives us anymore than we can handle." So the father felt that God thinks we are up to the task.

From the Media Player film, she seems like a very happy loving child. Juliana has accepted this very well, to her the life that she has is all that she knows.

14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Is there a G-d?

Not to get anyone freaked out, but if there is no G-d, then there is no "thing" determining what you can handle, right?

15. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Frickin windoze media player. Why can't everyone just use quicktime. Sheesh.

16. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

It is hard to think of an emotion not felt in that story!

As a parent of 3 lil'girls my heart is so heavy for the parents and their daughter.

It also makes every worry, thought of a worry, or worry of any worries insignificant and petty.

I noticed he was a P-3 crewmember (my old plane in the navy) and is surrounded with the positive re-enforcement of a Navy Squadron.

Hug someone tonight, tell them how much you love and appreciate them, especially your parents, who contrary to your opinion, probably went through a lot raising you.

17. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Hell, If I lacked a face I'd have some sort of artificial metal looking Marvel comic-ish face. Like the Chameleon or something.

[​IMG]
    Yeah, I'm too much of an optimist.

18. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

That is sad and scary, scary to think that it can happen, and sad that someone has to live like that.

19. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

As much as I feel for her parents, in a way this could be a good thing. I mean, with a case this severe, I'm sure that scientists will study Juliana, and hopefully make progress on helping people with genetic disorders in the future as a result of their studies.

20. sgarringer macrumors regular

Craptastic? Shirific?

21. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

There is always the pessimist and optimists. Luckily for Juliana, her parents have taken the optimistic view. This is all that Julians knows of life, so it isn't as difficult for her. I don't believe that God caused this, it was a gentice mutaton. But God can use a tradgedy like this to glorify himself. The atitudes of the parents and Juiliana are already proof of this.

22. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

How nice for God :rolleyes:

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I know several people said "heartbreaking" already, but that's the first word that leapt to my mind.

I admire the parents, but I can't help thinking what that poor girl still has to go through. Thirty more surgeries...and I'm sure that's just an estimate. It's going to take a long time to construct any kind of facial framework; she's going to need operations all the way until adulthood (since she'll still be growing); and at best she'll look like a close approximation of normalcy. Then there's the cruelty of other kids...and kids can be the cruelest people in the universe.

Wow. I wish I could say that inspires me, but mostly it depresses me. Guess I'm just not one of those "half-full glass" guys. :(

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Millions of people have had to deal with birth defects of one kind or another, and every story is different and sad in its own way. Some people find new courage they didn't think they had in them.

When I'm at a medical doctor's office, I smile or say hi to patients I see. The same at a hospital, even if they are in a wheelchair, have that easy-to-spot chemo hairstyle, are wearing a respiratory mask, or whatever. If you shy away from anybody who ever had a medical problem, you'll run out of people to talk to. And you won't "catch" a birth defect by talking to somebody who has one.

I didn't always know to do this. I remember seeing a lady at a store (we were both in line) who had a bald head with huge stitches across the top, Frankenstein style. I did a double-take and then tried to look the other way until it was my turn. I shouldn't have handled it that way.

Juliana's parents would probably rather have a simple "hi" or even a "will she be ok?" than a silent stare or a scared look-then-look-away. If we see them passing by, let's treat them like the regular people they would be without this birth defect.