Having a friend buy my Mac with NUS discount...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Amber, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Amber macrumors regular

A friend of mine has said he'll buy a mac pro for me with his NUS discount at the UK online Apple store.

I believe NUS discount is more than standard HE. How would he go about it?

I read that Applecare is £50. Is this normal Applecare or a 3 year warrenty? Also would I run into trouble if I had any problems with it or could he just say he sold it to me?

I also think he can get an iPod for £100 off.

What's the best route to take to get the cheapest Mac Pro I can? I'm actually planning to study next year but really need a Mac now after so many PC problems and would like to create my Portfolio on a Mac etc.

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

as far as i know, this is allowed, assuming he isn't abusing his discount (i.e., buying at discounted price and then selling for higher). people with discounts should know the rules surrounding their discounts (i.e., most students know that they can only buy one of a certain type of Mac or iPod per year).

all Macs come with 1 year of AppleCare and 90 days phone support - anything you buy extra will give you the extended coverage: 3 years of coverage and phone support (from when the machine was purchased).

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't think so, HE discount doesn't apply to iPods though in the autumn there was a special offer.

3 years of AppleCare is £50 from the UK HE Store. Though you get 3 years of cover for free, it's not clear how it works so I'd pay the £50 to upgrade to full AppleCare.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

must be different in the UK than the US.

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

If you are not in education, this is abusing his discount. Even if you/he are a student/teacher you are not permitted to use the NUS store unless you are part of an institution affiliated with NUS.

So not only are you entitled to no educational discount yet (it doesn't matter if you are going to become a student in the future), you are definately not entitled to teh extra privilege of NUS discount.

So the cheapest option for you is paying full price. Anything else, and you are abusing the system which jeopardises the future of the discount scheme if people like you are continually doing this.

As for the warranty, NUS Applecare is around £50 when purhased with the machine. This is a 3 year warranty. The normal HE warranty (only valid in the UK) covers you for three years for parts and labour only, with limited telephone support and this is included in the cost of your machine. The 3 year standard HE warranty is tied to your web order number so you must keep note of that.

Applecare is handy to have as it does give you some extras, for example the ability to have your machine picked up by Apple if you don't live near an Apple Store or AASP (Apple Authorised Service Provider).

However, this is all null and void as you are not entitled to any HE discount.

David

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

er...no. The NUS discount IS the HE discount.

7. Amber thread starter macrumors regular

I realise I am not 'entitled' to the NUS discount but I'm not one to do everything by the books. If I can save myself up to £300 I don't see how the loss will effect Apple in the long run regarding NUS discount. It's a Mac my mate wasn't going to buy anyway.

Lets say for example I bought a second hand Mac from my friend which he bought with £50 Applecare and he LOST money selling it to me. How does the Applecare work then?

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Applecare is transferrable between people.

9. Amber thread starter macrumors regular

I know Applecare is but what about the £50 student Applecare? I'm sure I heard the person has to own the Mac for a year before transferring.

10. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

No. You couldn't be more wrong. There are the education store, the higher education store and the NUS education store. On many products, the NUS store is cheaper than the HE store which is then cheaper again than the education store.

David

11. Amber thread starter macrumors regular

How do you enter the NUS store? From a Uni network or through the NUS site somehow?

12. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

You either need an NUS Extra Card or there is a special link.

David

13. Amber thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. My friend has the Extra card but can't figure out how to use it on the Applestore.

p.s. I knew I was right about the NUS extra discount. I've had so many people telling me I'm wrong.

14. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I believe this has been suspended at least temporally.

15. Ivanovich macrumors member

Ivanovich

Is it possible to use a NUS Associate Card (for 6th formers) for the NUS store, or do you need to have the Extra Card (for uni students) ?

I am in 6th form currently, and will entering uni this September.

16. caligula357 macrumors member

caligula357

actually, you can access the HE store from the internet, without any NUS card numbers or being on a university campus network.

but i'm not gonna post the url on a public forum... ;)

17. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

If you are not entitled to it then YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO IT!

To also illustrate how small minded you are, there is going to be numerous other people looking at this thread who maybe haven't even registered and are now thinking about doing the same as you. It is isn't just 300 pound Apple is losing.

18. Amber thread starter macrumors regular

19. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

20. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Er....no. I did my research when i was gonna buy my MBP and i can tell you without doubt. I've been to the HE store through my uni network and i've also accessed the NUS store through the NUS and though the stores technically differ, the prices (discounts) are EXACTLY the same, However, the normal education store, i agree, is different and is more expensive than the HE and NUS store. Otherwise NUS and HE, the same.

In fact go to the NUS store and look at the top of the safari window or look at the tab label, it says Apple/UK HE and to the right you see the HE AppleCare agreement. You see the same thing if you go through a uni network to access the store.

You my friend should get your facts straight.

21. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

To use someone else's education discount when you're not entitled to it is unethical and contrary to the end-user license agreement. It may well make your warranty null and void.

And I don't agree with being "open-minded" if this simply means being open to doing things that are clearly wrong.

I guess the cheapest way to get a Mac would be to steal it. Of course, that's not legal, but stealing a discount is no different, IMO.

22. Amber thread starter macrumors regular

23. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

24. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

25. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Oi! some heated opinions here.

In reality, the person who is bound by the HE/NUS/Whatever contract is the individual who purchases the machine. What does the contract say? Are they forced to keep the machine in their posession for a year? or a day?

Other Ed contracts for hardware I have seen, there is no restriction what you do with the machine after you take delivery, but there is a restriction of one desktop and one laptop machine per year.

Software is a different story, because you are purchasing a license, and if the mfg. wants to put a term in the Ed license that the software license cannot be resold or given away, then they can (and most often do).

So if there is any rule breaking, it would be the chum with the NUS card, but my guess is that they are in the clear as long as they don't mind giving over the one unit they have the right to purchase for that year.

Someone with access might copy the actual relevant terms here, and end the discussion ...