Having a .MAC account

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jbrown, Feb 10, 2007.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

What are the good points?

What are the bad points?

What can you do with it?

cheers all :)

2. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

you'll find a few threads on this with a quick search :)

the general opinion seems to be that it's useful if you have several computers to sync, and not so much if you don't.

but i have no experience with it. just check out the features list on apple.com - if you need it, go for it!

EDIT: check out these threads: 1, 2.

3. dhaen macrumors newbie

dhaen

I'm normally an optimist, but...

I use the syncing, and though it's really usefull, it's unreliable and often slow. Seems the UK (or Europe) service is poor compared with N.America. There's often one or more sync items that won't work first time and so need user intervention so automatic syncing is not a practicality. Occasionaly .mac is completely uncontactable. It's the same story with both my ISP's so I can't blame them.
    Why do I stay? Nice short email addresses and a hope that Apple will sort it out eventually...
    If I wasn't already member, and locked into email addresses and webspace (by my lazyness), I wouldn't bother joining.

4. emtp6811 macrumors newbie

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I have no such problems and I live in the UK. I have used .Mac for two years and sync every day between two machines and it works every time flawlessly.

6. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

It's fanboy tax. That's what it is.

7. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

That is ignorance. Thats what that is.

8. dhaen macrumors newbie

dhaen

I'm very pleased to hear it. Do you use automatic or timed sync? If so, what time of day does it synchronise?

BTW Does iDisk work properly for you, syncing or otherwise?

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I like having all my addressbooks/bookmarks etc. available on lab computers. I have used the backup app to retrieve data from my iDisk when I accidently deleted my addressbook a couple of times. I backup the important large stuff to my external with backup.app.

I like the mac.com email too. It's nice. Webspace is ok, cheaper elsewhere but I surprizingly like the homepage builder. It's so simple to throw pictars on your iDisk and in less than 3 minutes have a simple online site to show them off. I've been able to show some people pictures on AIM before they logged off using this method.

I wish it was faster though, as always.

10. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Sync works well, again I've had no problems with it. I mostly use manual sync (the sync symbol is in my toolbar and I just click on it to sync bookmarks, iCal, Contacts etc...)

Again, iDisk works fine for me too. I use it on my PowerBook G4 and iMac C2D. Also, I have used it on XP/Vista based Windows computers for uploading files with no problems.

Sure, speed increases and storage increases would be great but other than that it is a wonderful service.

David

11. 925AS macrumors member

I sync between 3 machines and everything works great. It is true though, if you don't have multiple machines its really not worth it. Unless you want to have a .mac email address.

12. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

get it

You Know ive never used sync feature. i use it for iDisk, web hosting and email the only problem is that .mac goes down a little too often and its usually down for a good while