Having difficulty signing up with iTunes Music Store.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by yamadataro, Apr 28, 2003.

1. yamadataro macrumors 6502

I've been trying to sign up with the iTunes Music Store, but the phone number section of the sign-up form (billing info page) keeps giving me errors.

"The home phone number area code must be a 3-digit bumber"

It's an American phone number all right. Anybody else having the same problem or is it just me? My billing address is in the US.

The funny thing is that if I type contry code "1" in the first box, the error message becomes "The work phone number ..."

2. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

Dec 9, 2001
    State of Denial
    you can't use the Music Store outside of the US yet. I think the international version comes out in a couple weeks.
  3. yamadataro thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought the country restriction was based on the credit card billing address.
    The message on iTunes says, I can't buy music from outside US unless I have an US billing address.

I'm currently in Tokyo with a US issued card.

Do they use internet IP address to filter customers outside the US?
  4. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Dec 1, 2002
    Thats a good point actually, i kind of have the same situation as im in Ireland (and have my brothers US issued card where he lives)
  5. yamadataro thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'd love to know what other out of the states guys are experiencing.

I don't think out-of-the-US edition of the service will be released soon considering the complicated music business contracts/structure. So I'm trying to get on with the US one now :D
  6. yamadataro thread starter macrumors 6502

Just been to the Music Store discussion board at Apple.com.
    It seems like the credit card transaction system is not working well. Tons of people are having problems with their card, including the problem I'm having.

7. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Dec 1, 2002
    Yeah, thats probably it. I hope that eventually ill be able to use my brothers card. I agree with you about the problems with the music industry outside the states, so i dont see it getting over here anytime soon.
  8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    if anyone else is having the credit card issues (and it sounds like damn near everyone, or at least every visa user, is)... try creating a new Apple ID... something about a problem migrating old ID's into .mac, therefore one click... i'm gonna go try it right now...

9. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    I had a problem at first. It wouldn't recognize my .Mac ID. So, I went to the Apple Store Online and turned on 1-Click. Then, when I went back to the iTunes Music Store, it asked me to verify my billing address and credit card info (MasterCard), and it has worked flawlessly ever since!

Man, I love this service! Sure, it doesn't have everything I want, but I didn't expect it to. I was actually surprised when I came across a few songs. Give this thing a month, and it'll totally rock.

I wish there was a request feature so you could send Apple a list of artists whose music you would like to see in the store. That would rock!
  10. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

Jan 27, 2003
    Same. When i was using the shopping cart it would never accept my Visa. As soon as I truned on 1-Click though, it went through right away.:D
  11. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2001
    DeKalb, IL
    There is a request feature.

Load up the Music Store homepage (in iTunes) and it's in the upper left hand corner. "Requests And Feedback."

I've already requested some Aphex Twin. :)

12. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    Sweet! I didn't notice that. Thanks for the info!
  13. yamadataro thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys!
    As soon as I created a new account, everything went through just fine.
    Appreciate it.