Having fun with UI's. Tell me what you think.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iostream.h, Aug 20, 2004.

1. iostream.h macrumors regular

Mar 4, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm developing a program "Broken Helix" (formerly known as Ollie's iPod Extractor) that will resuce tunes from an iPod. It's pretty much done (just doing testing now). I've given myself a bit of a creative license on making the UI, and was wondering what you all thought.

2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Very minimalist and nice, I like it.
    The first screen took a few seconds to figure out. Where would the music go if you click "import"? You might find better wording for that to match the rest of the theme.
  3. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2004
    St. Louis
    I'd change that shade of blue but otherwise its nice and simple.
  4. iostream.h thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 4, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Where would the music go if you click "import"?

It would allow users to import previously extracted music into iTunes.

Here is what this version (The "Lite" version) will do:

Export ALL songs from the iPod
    Nice progress bar

Cost: Donationware

Here is what the pro version would do:

Export All or Selected songs from an iPod
    Progress Bar
    Songs will be bundled into a seperate executable that the user can do other things with.
    Cloning of iPods
    Restoration of an iPod (not using iTunes)
    Playlists will be kept intact
    Playcount will be kept intact
  5. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    i never liked non-descriptive yes/no choices. i'd change the choices to "Import to iTunes" and "Don't Import to iTunes." (this is more of an issue when dialogues are longer at the prompt, but it's always better to make the user understand the choices without having to read anything but the buttons.)

otherwise, simple and good, i think.
  6. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    I like it a lot. Very nice and simple, and very apple like! Maybe a nice feature to add, if possible, is to update playcounts etc between ipod and itunes...not sure how you would do it but I have heard quite a few people mention they would like some sort of feature like this.
  7. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    i like it. too much free space at the bottom.

if you're a programmer, do you have any interest in creating a program with the same functionality of DVD Imager, but has a nice looking GUI? That would be sweet, and much appreciated.

I think you need to increase the blue and lower the green hues. I like the liberties you've taken with the GUI, screw Apple's "standards" they are horrendous, and not even apple uses them.
  8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Could it bake a pie? I'd pay money for software that could take food in through the CD drive, then bake a pie. Maybe some laser-etching on the top crust if you have a SuperDrive.

Oh, &*% I'm hallucenating again.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Overall I like it. I would suggest that maybe the selection portions be put at the bottom, while keeping the "splash screen" look.

The program sounds interesting in itself......
  10. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    I like it. :)

The only thing I might suggest is that the Yes / No be enclosed in buttons. It makes it easier to position your mouse & click.
  11. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY

Hey, that's really cool! Might I ask how you're developing it, and what language you're using? (BTW, I'd buy it if it makes it out :D)
  12. iostream.h thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 4, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    It's written entirely in cocoa.
  13. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The blue window seems... unneeded and intrusive. Why not follow Apple's UI guidelines (yes, I know they don't, but that's their problem)?
  14. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2003
    New York, New York
    Sorry, but that a great example of horrible UI design. There is no way to go back if you make a mistake or anything, and you have no idea what's ahead. One wrong click and you have to quit the application to start over!

It should all be visible at once. Make your selections than click a "go" button.