Having problems with Mail? Possible fix here!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JeDiBoYTJ, Apr 30, 2005.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I posted this in another thread earlier, but I see more and more people are having the same problem I was having.

Ok, so heres the problem everyone seems to be having:

"All my mail is gone!" "Tiger ate all my mail!" "Mail is broken!" "I cant get it to quit!" "I can send mail, but not receive!" "Mail is not working" etc etc etc

Ok, I had the exact same problem. I loaded mail, and low and behold, there was no mail, and it wouldnt receive any more. So I opened up the console, and noticed a whole slew of errors coming from Mail. I noticed it involved something called "httpmail", a third party plugin for Mail. So I went to the Library folder [/username/Library/Mail] where all plugins for Mail are stored. I went to the Bundles folder, and deleted all the bundles that were in there. I then relaunched Mail, and I jumped for joy when I saw the "Welcome to Tiger Mail!" message. it then imported all my mail, and its been working beautifully ever since!

quick summary:

Go to /username/Library/Mail/Bundles and delete all the bundles, and mail should then work.

I hope this helps a lot of people.

2. flat6 macrumors regular

Thank you thank you thank you.

Edit: Well, not quite. Using that httpmail plugin, I had a Hotmail box being downloaded. Now it's no longer there, the messages it contained are gone.

By the way, is there now a decent way to get Hotmail and Gmail to work with Mail?

3. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

4. flat6 macrumors regular

Strange, I can't seem to get mine working... doesn't want to accept the password.

5. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

yeah I know, you will just have to wait until a tiger-compatable version of httpmail is released.

Gmail is already POP enabled. just set the Incoming Mail Server to: pop.gmail.com. then add your username and password, and it works perfectly :)

6. narco macrumors 65816

narco

Man, I am about to smash things if I don't get Mail working.

So for some reason, when I import my mail it makes a copy of all my mail into the same folder. I have about 7 gigs worth of email, so by the time I imported 3-4 times because email wasnt showing up in the program, all my space is gone.

Basically, I need to know which mailboxes are duplicates so I can toss them. I have a folder inside the Mail folder called "Mailboxes." They have duplicates of mailboxes, for instance the "Projects" folder has two folders: 1) "Projects" and 2) "Projects.mbox." Which one can I delete? I want to start out like I had it in Panther, so I can just re-import everything from scratch.

THANKS.
    narco.

7. fuzzy_logic macrumors newbie

I just discovered that I'm not able to save my drafts. Any ideas?

8. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Is there any way to get the mailboxes to display on the right side instead of the left? It's driving me nuts...

9. robelkin macrumors newbie

robelkin

has anyone else had postfix DISAPPEAR!?!?!?!? i cant send mail out from my powerbook as postfix wont work. it wont even start in terminal! please help!

10. robelkin macrumors newbie

robelkin

for anyone that is having problems with postfix not running correctly after a new tiger install, here is how i fixed it.

head to terminal

go to root user mode:

sudo -s

type:

echo "/usr/sbin/postfix start" >>/etc/rc.local

do 'exit' command

sudo postfix start

and that should be it

11. narco macrumors 65816

narco

OK, I think I found out why my mail disappeared.

When it was importing my mailboxes, I ran out of disk space mid-way through, so it tricked Mail.app into thinking that the importing was complete.

LUCKILY I backed up all my mail prior to installation, so I deleted my Mail folder on my G5 and replaced it with the backup. However, now the importing just stopped midway through for no reason. I have 11gigs left so it's not a space issue. This sucks, everything else on Tiger works fine (except I've noticed it's a bit sluggish at times).

Fishes,
    narco.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Flat, you should still at least be able to get your Hotmail mail back. Go into Mail 2, choose File->Import Mailboxes, and then navigate to ~/Library/Mail (where ~ is your home directory -- just like where you went to delete the bundles). You should still see a folder in there with a name starting with httpmail and containing your hotmail address in the name. Click on that folder and push the choose button. You should get a set of folders in your sidebar that have the old mail from your HM account in them -- this will not allow you to collect *new* mail from HM, but will get you back your old mail.

13. narco macrumors 65816

narco

Alright, fixed everything.

I just think it's weird how I had 7gb of email, but when it imports the mail it takes up another 7gb. But now since everything is fixed, I can enjoy Tiger.

Fishes,
    narco.

14. emulator macrumors 6502

emulator

You have to enable POP3 inside GMAIL settings as well.

15. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

ARGH!

My Mail folder has NO Bundles folder. I am getting an "SSL" error on every account inside of mail. It is telling me that the certificate is unknown and may not be secure.

I have tried dragging the certificate to the desktop, opening it with the XAnchor thing, and putting it in the keychain, but it still won't work. What should I do?

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If there is a fix for this, I would like to know. I get this with my University department's servers. But in my case, it isn't just Mail. FF also questions me about the certificates for the web-access portal.

But, as small consolation, in Mail, it only questions me the first time I get new mail from those servers after I log in. And I don't get it on every server. Does it do it to you every time? Have you tried repairing your keychain?

17. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

It does it EVERY time. I can't check my mail, I haven't been able to for about 3 days now.

I repaired the Keychain, nothing got fixed!

This sucks.