Having to force quit quite often....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bill4588, Jun 21, 2006.

1. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

For some reason my Macbook has been acting weird today. Since this morning, I've had Safari freeze about 8 times and iTunes froze once. Also, I went to shut down and it did everything it normally does (goes to blue screen and then off), but the little white light on the outside stayed on. I opened it up and the screen was still black and the fans were still running. I pressed the power button - nothing. So I just held down the power button until it shut down finally. Safari still froze after the reboot so now I'm here for help. This can't be normal... How can I fix this?

2. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

First step, try these. Hope that does it.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If they don't work, then take out the third party RAM. Also, do you have at least 8GB of free space on the hard drive? :)

4. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

well it seems to only freeze when i go to gmail (google mail for those who dont know) and none of those solutions worked :( could it just be a problem with google?

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, Google can't crash your Mac no matter how hard it tries. This sounds like a hardware issue, most likely, bad RAM.

6. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

When I had .Mac set to synchronize automatically I was seeing a lot more beachballs - on my Power Mac. Since I turned it off, back to normal :cool: It wasn't crashing though, so maybe there's no relation. Just thought I'd throw that info into the mix...

7. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

just got my macbook, and this is its first trip online and i had to force quite safari 3 times while trying to send url over web MSN.. whats up with that? i DL'd Firefox, and have 1GB RAM apple put in..

8. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Its usually down to small amounts of RAM (512MB or less) and lack of free disk space for virtual memory.

But when I listen to previews on amazon.co.uk using real player once every few previews safari decides to crash.

9. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

well i have 32 gigs of space available and I just deleted the Mail app because I never use it and never will, and it still freezes when i ONLY go to gmail.....it's really weird and ANNOYING. No other program has frozen since yesterday....everything has been smooth. Maybe it is bad ram? I have 1GB of omni ram installed so it wouldnt surprise me if it was faulty ram.

10. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

Try a different browser, such as Firefox, Opera, or Camino. I use Gmail everyday in Camino with no problems on a 20" iMac with 512MB.

11. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

gmail works fine in safari for me, but I usually just get my e-mail through the mail app

12. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

i installed opera and i can access gmail no problem! opera even looks cooler lol.....i may try putting the old stick of ram back in just to see if it is bad ram.

13. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

well i took out my 3rd party ram and put back the stock ram and gmail still cause safari to freeze, so it's not bad ram. it's kind of annoying but if there's nothing i can do about it, then oh well....it works great with opera.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In fact you don't know that for certain. Safari might just be generating a larger RAM footprint, and the bad stuff could the RAM you haven't removed.

15. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

From what you are saying, Safari is the problem, not your RAM. You may just need to use a different browser...