having trouble burning music bought from iTunes, requesting help of any kind!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dawnauvil, Jan 22, 2007.

1. dawnauvil macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2007
    hey there,

I am new to the board/forum. I heard about this through my sister, both of us are devout apple fans. My question has to do with iTunes. I have an older computer (an iMac G3) and an external burner to make cd mixes (via Toast Lite 5.0). This system works quite nicely when I want to make cd mixes from music that I already own or have received elsewhere. However, anytime I buy music from iTunes, I can not burn it to a CD-R, it always comes out at "blank space" on the CD-R. I am curious if anyone may know how to get music bought and downloaded from iTunes to burn successfuly onto a CD-R. I recently got quite a few gift certificates from iTunes for the holidays, but I feel like I can't use them, or use them only to listen to music on my computer. I would like to listen to my music other than on my desktop (as it would be kinda hard to lug around my computer, not to mention look very strange). If anyone has ANY suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it very much!!!! Thank you for your time and patience, hope to hear from whomever soon:) !!

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Toast doesn't support protected music files from the iTunes Store, you should burn your CDs with iTunes rather than Toast.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Except -- iApps don't generally support external third party CD-Rs.

Check www.xlr8yourmac.com for information about CD compatibility and possible software patches like Patchburn.
  4. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003

Really? I've never had a problem. Imagine how many burners they have to support on PCs.
  5. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    They use a third party CD driver on Windows.

I thought patchburn wasn't needed in iLife '06 or Tiger or some combination thereof.

6. dawnauvil thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2007
    thank you canadaRAM!!

Thank you, I will try to use that web site youi mentioned. I would burn music from iTunes, but alas, I do not have an internal burner, I only have a CD-ROM with in my computer. Which is why I bought the external burner. Does iTunes make software in order to use an external burner?
  7. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Patchburn is a little app that enables the use of external burners with OSX and the iApps.