Having trouble installing Office 2003 on MBP w/ bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jochexum, May 10, 2006.

1. jochexum macrumors newbie

May 10, 2006
    Well I've had my Macbook Pro for about three weeks now and am really enjoying it. Boot Camp has run with but a few glitches and I love being able to boot up in XP. Now, trying to install Office 2003 (Microsoft version), the MBP won't read my install disc. I tried making a copy of the install disc with my PC and using the copied version to install, but it says the installation source is corrupt and won't finish the install. Has anyone else had a similar problem with this? Does anyone know a way around it? Thanks!

BTW, I'm trying to use the Student & Teacher Edition of Office 2003.
  2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    Try running Windows Update and make sure that you install the Windows Installer update (I think its version 3.1).
  3. jochexum thread starter macrumors newbie

May 10, 2006
    Is there any way to check what version of the Installer I'm using currently?
  4. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    I'm not sure, but I know that you can install just that one update.
  5. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

Feb 8, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Just like with OS X, you should install all of the security and major updates.
  6. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    Absolutely, and it's even more important with Windows.

If you do do a full update, you can safely ignore all the updates except for the ones listed as "Critical" or whatever the hell it's called now. (Sorry, don't have admin access to an XP box at the moment)

Look in the "Other" updates list to make sure that the installer update is actually installed.
  7. IanF0729 macrumors regular

Dec 3, 2005
    Baltimore, Maryland; Washington, D.C.
    I had a problem doing this with my PC at work, it may be that your CD drive is having a problem reading all the files on the CD.

Perhaps try, copying them to your HDD and installing it from there.
  8. ilkevinli macrumors 6502

Apr 8, 2006
    Thats a great idea. If it fails while trying to copy the files to the HD, then tehre is a problem with the CD or drive.