having trouble with maxtor onetouch

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by macOSX-tastic, Sep 1, 2005.

1. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

hi guys,

dang, hit my first snag!!!

the maxtor onetouch firewire hard drive (200GB) which came with my computer will not appear on the desktop in OS X. when i connect the drive via firewire, the "you need to restart your computer"screen appears. if i leave the drive plugged in and restart, the same message appears at the grey startup spinner stage. however, if i disconnect the drive, everything is fine. i dont think its the firewire port, as its only the drive that causes this to happen, but i dont have any other firewire devices to try it!

other than that, the computer is in perect working order.

any help greatly appreciated.

tastic

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, at the very least it's not normal--I have one of those at work and it's fine. That message is a kernel panic, which is basically a hard crash of the OS, and should never happen--it's due to either something bum you've installed, or a bug in the OS that is triggered when it tries to read the drive.

Question one: did you install the Maxtor software and button driver that came with it? I've read about that causing problems, and didn't install it myself. If you did, try removing everything and see if that does it.

If not, there's either something wrong with the drive, with your hardware, or with your OS install. It must be something specific to your situation, though, since I have one that works fine.

3. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

well,

i moved all the files i installed for the button to the trash, and the same problem happens. i ran an extended apple hardware test and every aspect of the procedure, including the logic board, passed the test.

as i said, everything is working fine when the hard drive is not connected.....performance and everything are top notch.

as soon as the contacts meet between the cable and the port, the grey curtain comes down and the message comes up. i then unplug, and everything is fine again, untill the next time i plug it in.

i wil be calling apple support tomorrow, because this should not be happening, as you say.

thanks for your help.

tastic