Having trouble with .torrent

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andrewfields88, Apr 30, 2006.

1. andrewfields88 macrumors newbie

Would anybody be kind enough as to guide me through downloading a .torrent file? I've tried several times using BitTorrent, and only recieve error messages and whatnot. I have an iMac G5 with OS X version 10.4.6

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

3. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

you'd be better off downloadind azureus for torrents, although it's pretty heavy on your processor.at the moment,i'm using bits on wheels,and it's going pretty well.
    the process if you havent done it before is you download the torrent file, open your torrent client, drag and drop the file into it, choose where to save the files and then that should do it...
    again,what are your errors?

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

bits on wheels sucks. azureus, transmission or mainline all the way. (azureus, if you're on an intel mac)

also, you need to clarify on what error you're getting, as it could be anything from lack of space on your hard drive, or you inadvertently using a private torrent

5. Queso macrumors G4

I like Tomato Torrent. It's inobtrusive and just plods along doing the job.

6. AlmostThere macrumors 6502a

Seconded. A great little programme.

7. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I'm going to try Tomato Torrent, thanks to all of your suggestions. Azureus is just taking too much of my system to even start or close itself. I suppose I'll have to deal with it when I get my MacBook. Is Azureus the only Universal BitTorrent program, or what?

Daniel.

8. andrewfields88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyones help....Ive now run into another problem though...I cannot play the OGG files i downloaded. Is there a way to play those files with a mac?

9. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

OGG in iTunes

While I can't attest to the quality of this plugin AT ALL, a quick Google search got me this:
    http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/

It's a plugin for iTunes that allows you to play .ogg files. Use at your own risk, I know nothing about it.

If that makes you nervous, VLC (mentioned earlier, I think) will play .ogg files. Not as nice as it doesn't integrate with iTunes, but a great program nonetheless, and one I recommend you download.

Link for VLC: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

10. andrewfields88 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Follow-up:
    Tomato Torrent is quite nice. Very pleasing to the eyes and simple. If they added some advanced preferences in an options menu or something, it'd be perfect.

Thanks for the recommendation, boys.

Daniel.

12. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

I currently use transmission as it's universal for Intel Mac's now (for a month or two now...), I started out using tomato torrent until I seen it was PPC only, it does work on Intel Mac's tho, it's just not supported so performance will be a little bit of an issue, you can view it under activity monitor and see it's PPC and not Intel. Both work great tho so give them both a shot!

13. dylan macrumors 6502

I like Acquisition for torrents. It uses NATPMP to open the correct ports. I just wish it had more control over uploads.

Transmission is nice too. Acquisition is cleaner though.

14. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Woah!!! no way....I love the wheels.....Azureus is the one I think sucks....

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Tomato Torrent is lovely.

It's quite, calm and rides in the back using minimal CPU cycles. Very friendly, unlike the proc. hogs that are Java-based bittorrent clients.

16. janey macrumors 603

janey

bits on wheels is just as resource hoggy as azureus on intel macs. nuff said :p

17. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I love Acquisition! I don't understand it when I got on say Versiontracker.com and a bunch of people claim it won't download anything, destroyed their Mac, killed their dog or whatnot and then downvote it. Weak.

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

because your mileage may vary with acquisition depending on what you have installed, etc. personally i don't like it, but i know it works for other people, so whatever :)

also, transmission and az are the only two universal clients, i think, I don't remember if mainline was as well.

19. matty444 macrumors newbie

Azureus for intel macs

I downloaded the altered version of Azureus the one designed to work for Intel Macs (Azureus 2.4.0.2. universal), however i can't get my torrent files to start seeding. When i double click on the torrent file (on the desktop) Azureus opens but the file doesn't appear and nothing happens.

Lol can anyone help me??

20. janey macrumors 603

janey

I have that problem too.
    All you need to do is hit apple+o in Azureus and then select the file to open, instead of doubleclicking it.

21. retrovertigo Guest

Acquisition is completely inadequate for downloading large torrents. I have on multiple occasions downloaded 4-5 GB of a 7+ GB torrent, only to have Acquisition refuse to close when I need to pause all the torrents and shut down my computer. I'll never use it again for torrents, not when Transmission works flawlessly and with less memory used.

22. Lauren226 macrumors newbie

torrent help

I can see you all are using torrents and was wondering if anyone could help me. I downloaded transmission AND bittorrent but the torrents won't actually download. The download window pops up and buffers for downloading but stops and a little icon with a magnifying glass appears next to it. I'm new to macs and have no idea what the problem could be. I think I've googled every possible resolution and nothing has worked.
    Someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me! Thank you.

23. munson macrumors 6502

munson

Well, once you "open" the torrent with Transmission, if it is a multiple file torrent, you will see a window that will allow you to select the files you wish to download. Otherwise, it should be all set - you just let it do it's thing. Depending on the health of the torrent (number of seeders and leechers) you might have better luck.

EDIT:
    Also, the magnifying glass is always there -- it does not mean there is something wrong. It allows you to inspect the torrent/files.

24. Queso macrumors G4

Are you using an application blocker such as Little Snitch? You will have to allow Transmission through that if you are.

25. utkillsall macrumors newbie

i like tomato, but dont be stupid and try to download iwork or ilife on it, in case you havnt heard there is now a virus out for the mac that comes through trying to download those programs through a torrent...lol im betting that apple themselves released it