Having your Creative iLifestyle Pay

Discussion in 'Community' started by GeorgeTheMonkey, Jan 27, 2005.

1. GeorgeTheMonkey macrumors member

Mac users seem to have solidified the caricature of the PowerBook-wielding, digital SLR-carrying, iPod-listening creative genius-type. There's no doubt about it: having a Mac does seem to liberate the creative spirit, and open up new doors of productivity (through utter simplicity) for the un-creative ones too.

So here I am, eagerly awaiting a new release of whatever Powerbook they may be (please, for goodness sake, no one mention "G5") to buy, so that I might break the chains of bondage from my desk and my reliable old DP 1.42Ghz PowerMac G4. I'm also planning on upgrading a few weeks after I receive my PowerBook, from film to a digital SLR -- either the Nikon D70 or D20. (I think then I'll definitely fit the Creative iLifestyle stereotype.)

My question is: how, pray tell, do all you other users utilize your digital iLifestyle, and how do you actually benefit from it? How, in the past, have you made your creative Mac usage "pay"? (At the very least, I'd presumably like my newfound purchases to actually, monetarily pay for themselves after a time.)

There you have it... making the Apple Creative iLifestyle pay. Any freelance photographers, web designers, etc. etc. around, that wish to alleviate worrying minds (and wallets)?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I have a full-time paid salaried position as a print designer.

But I also do some freelance work at home – which is why I'm on a Mac all the time – particularly for small UK-based charities.

This source of income has been carefully cultivated by making and keeping contacts. The little things like emails, Xmas cards, attending every invitation, etc...

When it comes to freelance, it most definitely is 'who you know'.

Word-of-mouth and personal recommendation is an extremely potent marketing tool, far more effective than a website.

p.s. Aged dual 1.42?
    Sssh, don't say that – mine's listening. It might get sulky...

3. GeorgeTheMonkey thread starter macrumors member

Ah, but our G4s should know that they are fine machines. They age well! :) (Although mine seems to be having a mid-life kernel panic crisis. I still haven't gotten around to doing a clean re-install of the OS... I'm not sure how much he'd like that.)

I suppose the key is finding your digital identity, what you're good at, and marketting it as a service... I'd love to see how freelance photographers do this!

My problem is I love to try everything, but have too short an attention span to master anything. That's why I teach preschool! :D I did do freelance web design in the past, but then CSS and XML hit and I haven't been able to catch up with the technologies... In the meantime, I'm managing with Photoshop and photography.