Price Advice Havn't been able to sell my '12 Air. Why?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GD0X, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Guest

so as the title depicts, i'm attempting to sell my 2012 macbook air in excellent condition. It's the base model with the 8gb ram upgrade. Im asking for $1050... including laptop, charger and extension, retail box, and case. This seems fair considering its only 5 months old and basically 1300 new.

I only use craiglist btw, ebay/amazon marketplace are out of the question.

2. macrumors member

Mikey-Mike

Haswell is coming out buddy, haswell.

3. macrumors newbie

4. thread starter Guest

even then, its still another 5 months at least and most consumers don't know about future cpu updates.

5. macrumors regular

ForceGhost

6. oldtime, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012

macrumors member

Is your listing detailed and does it feature more than just stock photos?

Also, if you live in a smaller city, you have to be patient when selling high-dollar items on CL. There are simply fewer people searching out items like yours.

7. macrumors regular

There's your problem. You're overpriced for CL.

8. thread starter Guest

want something smaller, probably an 11". But i might buy the mini to hold me over until a haswell MBA comes out.

----------

yes it is. Im in a large college campus... includes photos of the "about this mac" and the S/N/order portion of the retail box.

9. macrumors 6502a

check the price of referbs...not sure what they are but they might be cheaper

10. macrumors regular

crawler1975

you probably need to lower your price to around $900-ish range.. yes it is only 5 months old but with apple constantly refreshing their laptops, yours is becoming obsolete faster...

11. macrumors regular

ForceGhost

Yeah, This ^^, Although Apple product hold their price well, we've seen a lot of updates over the past year and products tend to be loosing value much quicker now.

12. macrumors 6502

armandxp

I think most people don't want to spend over the $1000.00 threshold on something used. It's a mental thing. I usually keep my Apple products for 2-3 years, then sell on CL for 7-800. I always have good luck, and I feel I got a lot of use out of my computer, and a great down payment on a new one. Selling a new computer after only having it for a few months is like buying a new car, it depreciates too much as soon as you drive it off the lot.

You could always try different area's that are kinda close to you to list the ad. I had a guy come two hours away to buy my last Macbook. :D

13. macrumors regular

You've got to price it to sell. undercut your competitors by checking what theyre selling theirs for

14. macrumors 6502

armandxp

What ^^^^^ He said! Try also, making the ad sound more awesome than it is. Fluff it a little! Some people love that stuff :D

15. macrumors 6502

on Apple.com, 13" 2012 refurb is $1019 with full Apple warranty.

You are overpriced.

16. macrumors 601

ixodes

In general Mac used pricing is beginning to soften.

17. macrumors 6502

Don't forget he said he has 8GB RAM, not 4GB.

Overall, it is a fair price for what you have. Sadly, as other have said, if it hasn't sold yet its priced too high. Personally, I'd hold out and see if the Xmas season sparks more interest in the coming weeks before dropping the price any more. That's a serious loss for only 5 months of ownership.

18. macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I would say....

$900-950 would be a good price to ask in CL. CL have too many lowballers and I can see a scenario where some people offers you $800-900 thinking he or she are paying handsomely.So be prepared for your market:)
    Have a good listing with actual photos also helps. But then, AppleCare ( I am asuming that is running in your machine) good care and no cosmetic and functional issues also help

:):apple:

19. macrumors 603

thekev

Check refurbished pricing and what others are selling for on ebay. Craigslist works best in large markets, especially in the US. If the price is softening, it's likely an issue of a larger used supply and Apple's refurbished stock.

20. macrumors 65816

designs216

The other aspect is, I'd be wary of anything this expensive on Craigslist with no guarantee that the seller hasn't filled it with soda and is now trying to rip me off. Try slightly undercutting the price of a comparable Apple refurb and proactively booking a Genius bar appointment. The seller will be assured both that they are getting a solid machine and meeting you in nice public place. Also, be patient -- it's the name of the game with CL.

21. macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

Do you have anything to throw in with it? Try spicing up the ad, maybe...

I sold my 2010 (1.6/4/128) for 800.00.. just keep it on sale and hold your price, someone is bound to show interest.

22. macrumors 603

Carlanga

you prob can sell it for that here in the marketplace, CL will be full w/ lowballers.

23. macrumors 603

notjustjay

I don't ever sell high-dollar items on sites like Craigslist. Just too much opportunity to be scammed (and the buyer will think the same about you). I've had a couple of bad experiences too. Bought a laser printer that quit working 10 minutes after I plugged it in, and a G4 Cube (!!) that had a faulty power supply. Sigh.

Instead, try the buy/sell boards in areas around you. At work, at school, on the forums here. Ask your friends, parents, etc. to post an ad on the forums at their workplaces.

Nowadays I turn to my workplace forums first. There's an added sense of trust since you already know a bit about the buyer/seller (where they work!) and it makes for convenient rendezvous points.

24. cdubb80, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012

macrumors member

i've sold a couple macbooks on CL (even my car) in Vancouver. Usually 1-2 years old for $750-$900.

If you're on a campus, can students just get the educational discount. Then when is the price difference?

I think technology uneducated people might be more impressed with an extra wireless mouse then the RAM upgrade.

There is a used apple pricing website that i used to show a fair price for my model of computer mac2sell.net

25. macrumors 6502a

If you have had nibbles but cannot make the sale could be the condition.

If nobody is even calling its over priced for the season and market.

Definitely should be lower than an Apple refurb with a longer warranty.

At the schools around me mom an dad footed the bill for 99% of the laptops and they were bought new.