Hay, ibook question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Decahedron, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Decahedron macrumors regular

okay, so im ready to make the switch and whatnot.
    im 18 years old, about to go to college, plan to major in english. ive got an ipod, listen to LOADS of music (considering minor in music.)
    really im pretty set on the ibook as my grandparents have told me theyd buy me a laptop with a limit of 1000 dollars. so yeah, i was going to order the ibook from macmall.com for the 1gb ram for 40 bucks, bag and printer for free.

main question is i heard that the keyboard on the 12 inch book is altered and smaller. i have large hands, im over six feet tall. so yeah, how big of a difference is it? there's no place to try one out in the immediate vicinity, but how much worse is it than the normal usb keyboard? also, in what ways is it different. i could always go the alternative of BUYING a keyboard but that's not really my first choice, though as a writer it may be the one i end up with.

anyway so i plan to write, surf the internet, chat, use itunes, maybe run some emulators (up to snes)
    12 inch for me?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The keyboard on the 12" iBook is the same size as on the other portables, and even if some people have issues with the iBook keyboard (I don't I love it), size has never been mentioned as an issue. They're just fine.

You say you listen to a lot of music. A tip: Go for the MAXIMUM sized HD you can afford, I ordered mine with a 60 GB BTO (that was max when I got my iBook G4 in Nov 2003), and with an ever-increasing iTunes Library (now reached 36.7 GB) HD space is a real problem. :( Go for the 100 GB if you can, as the HD is not easy to replace later...

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I agree. Get the biggest hard drive you can. I would pass on the Ram right now and get the 80 or 100 GB Hard Drive. With 512MB Ram the iBook is fine for normal use and you can't add the hard drive later but you can the RAM. Don't forget you are going to have to buy MS Office or iWork.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Man it really is a bit early over here, I was about to say that you should check it out in person but I thought to reread your post and duh, you're not really close to anyplace w/ an iBook. I think what people mean by a 12" having a "smaller" keyboard than the 14" is that the palm rest area is smaller... I think that the iBooks' keyboard is different from the standard Apple USB keyboard in the way that just about ALL laptops' keyboards are simply different feeling, but I think that Apple does a better job of making their lappy keyboards close to the real deal.

Maybe you can at least get into some computer selling place to check out any old 12" lappy vs a 14" one? Because the size thing is really about preference when it comes to the iBooks because both screens have the same resolutions, or rather, you see the exact same screen on the 14" as the 12" but the pixels are larger.

5. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

I'd second (or is it third by now?) the vote for as much HD as you can get - you'll be surprised at how quickly it goes.
    If you decide to go the BTO route, you could order directly from Apple using the educational discount and upgrade to a 80GB HD for $90.
    The iBook itself would be $949 + $90 = $1039.
    Unfortunately, Apple store does typically charge tax, so that's something you lose out on by ordering from them.
    You mentioned a limit of $1000; I'm not sure how hard a cap that is.
    The main reason to do it would be to upgrade the HD.

If you're not going to upgrade the internal HD and just planning on buying an external one down the road, then it's cheaper to get it from a third-party place like MacMall.

Good luck!

6. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

I have pretty big hands and the keyboard is very easy to get used to, it's as big as any other laptop from my experience. And I agree I took the standard 40 gig and I'm struggling with space. I'm going to have to buy an external now :(

7. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

As for the 12" 'books, you might want to pick up a separate keyboard to keep at the dorm so that you can spread out and do some serious long term typing (especially as an english major). However, that being said, I think the 12" keyboards are just fine for those times when you're on the go. Enjoy that sweet battery life!

8. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

9. mpw Guest

I'd agree with the advice to get an external keyboard for long session at you desk but I'd also agree that the 12" iBook's keyboard has no real size issue and certainly no more issue than any other decent laptop keyboard.

For the record I'm 6'2" with a span from thumb to pinky of 9½" and can comfortably use my iBook but choose an USB Apple Keyboard and MS BT mouse when at a desk for positioning as well as size (and a right-click). You may want to check out a stand such as the iCurve aswell.

The HD comments are correct too in that you'll fill whatever size you get quicker then you'd think. Although upgrading the internal HD is actually quite easy if you follow the instruction that are available online. I completed it in under a couple of hours and that's the first time I've open any PC let alone a laptop.

One other thing; You say iTunes is going to get some use, the speakers aren't exactly room-fillers so you might want some external options.

10. Decahedron thread starter macrumors regular

Hrm, why is everyone anti-extrnal hard drive? I'm choosing the ram over the HD because it's free from the site (well, the 40 dollar installastion fee but still thats a big savings)
    What are your guys' HDs filled with anyway? i guess mine might fill somewhat quickly, especially if i start working with iLife, other programs, and writing more. Also I should be able to afford some more music soon too (i buy all mine, blah blah indie rock support.)
    Lastly, my school doesn't offer the student discount on ibooks :(

11. ja0912 macrumors member

The title of this thread prompted me to check it out JUST to see if someone said that. :D

The keyboard on the iBook is about the same size as all other laptops. I don't think the modest difference in laptop keyboard sizes would make a world of difference. Meanwhile, I do feel claustrophobic with a 12" screen.

12. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Was the first thing I thought. :D :D

13. Decahedron thread starter macrumors regular

14. londy macrumors member

well as far as i know, you don't necessarily get the edu discount through your bookstore, but through apple.

have you checked out the educational store at apple? http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html

click personal purchase and enter your school information. your college should come up. some schools don't sell apple products at all (mine doesn't), but apple still recognizes the school.

and i'm sure "everyone" isn't anti-external hd. but i'd rather not start out like that. which is more portable: ibook holding 40GB+ of whatever OR ibook + external hd? i'll use it when i come to it and that'll be when all 80-100GB of my ibook are close to full with music, text documents, pdfs, and other school related material (even some pictures).

15. ja0912 macrumors member

I think external HDs are fine. If you need a lot of space in the first place no internal drive will be big enough anyway. Just make sure you have enough room for all of your music internally, that would be the biggest pain.

16. Decahedron thread starter macrumors regular

school isnt there, its weird.

anyway, last question i promise

apple care plan necessary?

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I like Aluminum Powerbooks and Lexan iBooks, but if you have found a Hay iBook, it sounds good. Hey, it'll probably have some horsepower.

(That'll be the last straw then, would it? Righty-ho...)

18. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

What's on my HD? My iTunes library is 36.7 GB (on a 60 GB disk), as I already mentioned...

As to why an external HD won't do? Well the music is the only thing that would make sense to move to an external, but as I play music more or less all the time that would mean I would have to have that disk connected all the time and (apart from the power) I got rid of my last wire when I upgraded from an old AirPort UFO to an AirPort Express and started using AirTunes to send music to my HiFi. Getting a (wired) external HD would be a step in the wrong direction... ;)

19. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

yea ! i bet it will haul A** ! erm... donkey... :p

20. drison macrumors regular

drison

Okay, I resisted but since you started it. ;)

Decahedron,

Are you absolutely sure you want to major in English? I understand if you like to write but as an English major, you will probably be required to use the correct words in a sentence.

Sorry, no offense intended.
    -Dave :eek:

21. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Its up to you. Don't let someone else make the decision for you.

Do you want to know that for three years your machine is covered by warranty, or take the risk that it won't fail within year 2 or 3...I say if gramps is paying up to $1K, pitch in the extra couple hundred for applecare and keep your sanity...

22. Decahedron thread starter macrumors regular

No offense taken. The way I type online be it message boards or through instant messanger is very different from the way I WRITE.

anywho, when i asked if the care plan was necessary it was more a question of how beneficial has it been to everyone?

23. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I would recommend AppleCare for the iBook, PowerBook, iMac and mini. But, you have up to the time your standard warranty ends to purchase it, if budget is an issue right now.

24. switchr92 macrumors member

Hard Drive

If your music collection is about as large as the iBooks standard HD, than you should obviously upgrade the HD to 80 or 100 GB. The iBook is one of the sleekest notebooks in the market, why ruin that with an external HD? So I would definetly make upgrading HD 1st priority, and iWork or MS office 2nd (appleworks is considered by most barebones). Applecare should be bought later in the year, when you have the funds. If i were you, I would get the BT apple keyboard, to free up a USB port and simplify things. U should also get a BT mouse, but get that from logitech or MS, unless Mighty mouse goes BT soon. BTW the iBooks keyboard has full-sized keys (except the spacebar, arrow, and control keys i think), so it should be useable until u get a BT keyboard, or for whenever u r roaming.
    Good luck,
    switchr.

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

mad jew's free tip of the day: You may as well write properly on boards like these, if only to get more practice. I understand that sometimes you can't be bothered, but see it as a chance to improve your eloquent diction. :D

I didn't bother with either my iMac or my iBook. You get a free year's worth of warrantee and I really only ever needed about two months (and that was only with the iBook, the iMac has been fine). Having said that and knowing my luck, I'll probably have two very screwed up computers tomorrow morning. :(

Others will tell you to get it, but remember, you don't have to decide for another 350-odd days after purchase. You can buy it once you've got your Mac so long as it's within a year of purchase. :)