Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

hbogo.jpg
HBO today updated its HBO GO app for iOS devices and the Apple TV with support for Single sign-on, allowing subscribers to access HBO content more quickly.

With Single sign-on, HBO customers will no longer need to enter their cable credentials separately when logging in to the HBO GO app. Instead, the app will use universal credentials that are stored by Apple. HBO GO is also now available in the TV app, with full support for "Watch Next" tracking functionality.

Single sign-on, introduced in December, is one of the first steps Apple has made towards streamlining the television watching experience on the Apple TV and iOS devices. It's designed to allow all cable subscribers to sign in once with their cable credentials to gain access to all cable-restricted content available within apps.

Single sign-on is limited to the United States and requires both service providers and app developers to implement support for the feature. Along with HBO, more than 20 popular television apps support the Single sign-on, with a full list available via a Single sign-on support document.

Not all cable providers are offering support for Single sign-on yet, so the feature is limited to Cable ONE, CenturyLink Prism, DIRECTV, Dish, GVTC, GTA, Hawaiian Telcom, Hotwire, MetroCast, Service Electric, and Sling TV.

Article Link: HBO GO App Gains Support for Single Sign-On and TV App

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Until it supports DIRECTV Now, I can't use single sign-on for HBO GO. C'mon, Apple and AT&T, make it happen!

We still have a standard DIRECTV account for now, but we don't pay for HBO on that account; nor am I willing to pay $15.00/month or whatever extortionist pricing they're charging for HBO on a standard DIRECTV account these days. $5.00/month on DIRECTV Now is a lot more palatable.

Thankfully, AT&T finally seems to be working out the bugs with DIRECTV Now. I haven't seen a QP1501 or QP1502 error for a week or more. It's looking more and more like we'll keep the service. I'm sure once they add DVR capability, it will be a $10 or $15 per month add-on for people who got the special introductory pricing. Even with an extra charge for DVR, it will almost certainly be far less expensive than the $90/month we pay for standard DIRECTV service currently. Plus, DIRECTV Now has more channels I want to watch and less garbage I couldn't care less about compared to our standard DIRECTV service.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
No single sign on support for DirecTV Now streaming service yet, but I'm glad the TV app is getting more relevant. Can finally use HBO GO access with it. Good stuff.

Reactions: Eduardo1971

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Don't feel bad, the biggest ISPs in the US are not enrolled in that program (i.e. Comcast). It's useless for majority of US customers too.

Makes me feel less sad, I thought most if not all TV providers had an App on the ATV in the US.
Odd there are so few of them supporting AppleTV while they have Apps on other platforms, makes me wonder why.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

AZMecha

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Same behavior for All... [Cox Communication] AZ does not support single-sign on either.

LuisRo

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2017
I've updated the app but for some reason it does not appear on the TV app. Usually when an app is updated to support the TV app the next time I open the TV app it ask if I want to enable it on the TV app, but for some reason it did not asked for HBO Go. Is anyone else having this issue?

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I've updated the app but for some reason it does not appear on the TV app. Usually when an app is updated to support the TV app the next time I open the TV app it ask if I want to enable it on the TV app, but for some reason it did not asked for HBO Go. Is anyone else having this issue?

Maybe it's still rolling out. I was watching Eastbound & Down on HBO Go app and was asked mid-episode.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Makes me feel less sad, I thought most if not all TV providers had an App on the ATV in the US.
Odd there are so few of them supporting AppleTV while they have Apps on other platforms, makes me wonder why.

Should be clear. They are trying to slow down adoption of Apple TV to hold on to their data collection and control over customers. Same as Amazon Prime. They are refusing to push out App for ATV because they are furiously working to grab mindshare, even losing hundreds of millions on Echo, etc., because they fear ATV. That's their freedom to choose, but customer experience is worse for those who want to use ATV

Reactions: LuisRo

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015

Entertainment Corporations here love pissing contests for no apparent reason.

Larry The L

Suspended
Jun 9, 2016
While this is nice for Americans, using AppleTv with other providers around the world is still very much useless.

Gee. Before the single sign on, I had to individually sign on to every app. Guess what, I survived. I'm sorry to hear that it is such a difficult task that you would rather not use Apple TV then go through that horrific burden of signing on.

LuisRo

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2017
Should be clear. They are trying to slow down adoption of Apple TV to hold on to their data collection and control over customers. Same as Amazon Prime. They are refusing to push out App for ATV because they are furiously working to grab mindshare, even losing hundreds of millions on Echo, etc., because they fear ATV. That's their freedom to choose, but customer experience is worse for those who want to use ATV

Got it. Thanks for the info

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Should be clear. They are trying to slow down adoption of Apple TV to hold on to their data collection and control over customers.
Single sign on doesn't stop the collection of data. Not quite sure why you'd think it would. If Comcast allowed SSO, they would still know when you used the apps that utilize their service since they're still the conduit for the content. They also don't lose control over their customers because of SSO. SSO is a convenience feature, that's all. It doesn't hurt Comcast or any other provider. Most likely, they just don't care enough about the ATV to make the effort. No sense in ascribing malice when plain ole apathy is the most likely answer. They, like everyone, have priorities. The ATV is probably not high on their list, or anyone's list for that matter. Including Apple's.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Comcast spouted some bull about working with the other members of the cable and content cartel and Adobe(!?) to create an open standard for SSO.

Bottom line is, that don't have to do jack, and won't, until they all come up with some half-a$$ed solution that will work poorly and serve mainly to preserve their business model. CableCard ring a bell?

And with the FCC now firmly in their pocket, things aren't going to improve any time soon.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
DirecTV Now =/= DirecTV.

Are we talking about two different things? I'm talking about the ability to use your directTV sign on to log into all your channel apps. It sounds to me like you are talking about the ability to stream DirectTV directly?

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Are we talking about two different things? I'm talking about the ability to use your directTV sign on to log into all your channel apps. It sounds to me like you are talking about the ability to stream DirectTV directly?

When redscull referred to DirecTV Now not being on board with the tech they were referring to DirecTV Now, which is a streaming TV service without single sign on. It is not the same thing as DirecTV, which has had single sign on.

http://directvnow.com
http://www.directv.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.