HBO to Deliver Streaming Video to iPad

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 17, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bloomberg reports on the HBO's reluctance to license their shows to Netflix for online streaming, but reveals that iPad owners will still be able to access HBO content in the near future.Time Warner Inc.'s pay-television channel, home to shows including the "The Sopranos" and "True Blood," holds cable and Internet rights to films from Warner Bros., Twentieth Century Fox and Universal Pictures and is unlikely to make a deal with Netflix, HBO Co-President Eric Kessler said.
    Instead, HBO plans on making its shows and movies available online through its own HBO Go service. HBO Go is presently a streaming web service that offers 800 hours of HBO TV and Movie content to current subscribers at no additional cost. HBO Go will become available in the next 6 months for the Apple iPad and other mobile devices. HBO Go was described by some as a Netflix competitor when it launched in February.

Article Link: HBO to Deliver Streaming Video to iPad

2. macrumors 601

DMann

Here we Go!

Something more to keep the ball rolling.

Netflix on the iPad appears to be sharper than on a desktop monitor.

No extra charge for HBO subscribers? I'm in.

3. macrumors 603

appleguy123

Must have now! On a side note, does anyone else watch the show Hung?

4. macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Awesome! HBO has some great shows. I hope the other networks jump on board soon as well.

5. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Funny, last night I looked for an HBO app and now this. I'm very very excited.
    this is something that will make me keep my $175 cable bill. I want portable media. I don't have a TV in my room by choice but I watch stuff on my iPad nightly. Well, unless I'm pulling a pee wee herman.

6. macrumors regular

usasalazar

How much $$ now?

Ad free or free!!

Correction - Free with subscription sounds pretty good.

7. macrumors 601

DMann

Cute. :)

So that's what your kitty's been doing all along...

Hopefully, a new season of Curb makes an appearance this spring.

8. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Read dude.
    You don't even have to read the full article, it's right there ...
    In other words, if mom and dad pay for HBO then you can get this for free, I believe.

9. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yup on both counts! My Kitty is very enterprising. Don't diss Teh Ball Licker™.

10. macrumors regular

Cool service....

This is a cool service....now let me sign up to an online only plan without having to deal with cable or satellite tv and you will have me as a customer.

However, if I have to deal with cable or satellite tv you will never have me as a customer.

11. macrumors member

RazorWriter

I sure hope there is an option to use this without a cable subscription. I don't have one and I'm sure not going to pay $100+ a month for one just to get HBO.

12. macrumors 601

DMann

"Tis true.

He does it 'cause he can.

No soup for you.

13. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

HBO is about $15 a month if you just pay outside a "rate locked" deal. However, you need digital cable extended plus HBO which is actually $100 as you're talking about. They clearly state that this is free to subscribers, we'll see where this goes.

Netflix, Hulu, and individual networks will soon put cable TV out of business. Not a moment too soon too. I pay $175 for phone, internet, and cable. I have a DVR and a TIVO. I am being assraped monthly and it's getting quite costly and annoying.

14. macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I wish they would let you pay for HBO content for iPad monthly without a cable package.

The only show I watch every week right now is Mad Men. Everything else I can probably live without because I'm too busy to watch that much TV. I might not mind paying to have True Blood or The Pacific on my computer and iPad though... Man I miss the Sopranos.

15. macrumors 603

bedifferent

+1 I have cable I just don't subscribe to HBO.

I got the invite for the beta Hulu for iPad application, but it's $9.99/mo. and I don't even use or know enough about Hulu to warrant it. Is Hulu a full fledged online tv show and movie site or is it limited in what it offers?

16. macrumors 603

appleguy123

Didn't they used to do this before cable TV was popular? LIke they'd come to your house and install a special box and you could get their content?

17. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Limited to network participation.

18. macrumors newbie

Would be awesome if it was available internationally. It drives me nuts not having access to all that restricted US content. I'm willing to pay for content, but residing outside of the US (with Uncle Sam) it isn't easily possible.

19. macrumors 6502

20. macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

QFT. Right now Hulu only carries content for:

NBC, ABC and FOX, PBS, USA, Bravo, Comedy Central, Fuel, FX, NFL Network, Speed, Big Ten Network, Syfy, Style, Sundance, E!, G4, Versus, A&E, Oxygen, Onion News.

Which seems like a good deal for $9.99/month until you realize that:

1. NBC, ABC and FOX are free over the air all over the US
    2. The channels don't offer their full lineups
    3. There is still advertising.
    4. What good shows are actually on these channels? ABC used to have Lost and my girlfriend likes Grey's Anatomy but those are already available for free.

Comedy Central stuff might be worth it I guess but I would trade all of these channels for AMC.

21. macrumors 601

HiRez

That's where I'm at too, this garbage about having to have a full digital cable package plus the HBO TV service to use it is asinine and backwards. Basically you're looking at well over $100 a month if you just want to watch HBO. HBO has great content that I would gladly pay the $15 per month rate for, but it's not worth all that.

22. macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I have access to HBO Go through Comcast's Fancast and love it. Especially since I get HBO free with my Comcast subscription in Florida, but don't get it with my Time Warner subscription in New York. When I'm in New York, I can log onto Comcast's site and keep up with my HBO shows!

23. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I didn't say it was worth it but if I pay for it now enticing me by giving me more options to view is a good way to keep me. If I feel this way then I bet I'm not alone. In 12 months I've effectively watched less than 200 hours of my cable tv. $175 a month for 200 hours is similar to 10 hookers 2 days a week for 12 months; still broke and sore. :)

24. macrumors 603

appleguy123

25. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is about HBO. Showtime execs aren't watching this but they'll let a heavy hitter like HBO test the waters.