HBO's Rome series on DVD

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GorillaPaws, Aug 23, 2006.

1. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

I'm a Lost junkie (I got into Battlestar Galactica too), but don't get HBO, and so never had the opportunity to watch the Rome series. Is anyone here who is a fan? What would you compare it too? Is it worth buying the season? Thanks in advance for your input.

2. bobscliff macrumors regular

bobscliff

I'm a HUGE fan and i must say it's definitely worth buying on dvd, but not for the $100 msrp. you can get it for less on amazon tho. you could also get it on netflix i suppose. it's kind of a high-quality historical soap opera, but with good acting and plotting.

3. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Thats how i feel aswell, there is not much action but the storey is very nice amd its worth a watch. I would probebly buy it but $100 is a lot might i say.

4. Caezar macrumors 6502

Is this series complete already? Or will there be another season?

Caezar

5. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Actually Rome was made by HBO, BBC & RAI not just HBO :rolleyes: it was ok, it wasn't as good as people rave on about.

6. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

There will be another season. In fact it is probably filming right now as HBO has said it will begin airing in January '07.

OP: You would be much better off viewing the first episode through Netflix/downloading before buying. I loved it but some of my other friends, who swear by anything HBO produces, hated it.

7. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I haven't seen it, but that is based on the recommendation of Lori (see post below), who saw a few episodes while she was on her last business trip. We're both fans of generally the same TV shows (like Lost and BSG), so I took her on her criticism at face value. But, this may be an exception...

8. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I thought the acting left something to be desired. The show actually put me to sleep when I watched it on my trip.

9. GorillaPaws thread starter macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Thanks for the advice guys. I had no idea it was that expensive for the season (I bought the first season of Lost for like $40 last year so I had that kind of price in mind when I posted about Rome). Looks like I may be renting this, at least to start out with (I'd REALLY have to like it to want to drop $60-100 on a tv show). I am excited to get into this now!

10. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat