Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
england
been googling and searching everymac for ages now and nothing haha

looking to upgrade the HD in ma new toy, looking for something faster,

it's currently got a FUJITSU MHT2080AT, 80gig thats spinning at 4200rpm

i cant find out what the top limit is on the speed, 5400? 7200? not really bothered about size, but does the iBook still have the famous 128gb< top end like the powermac g4's had, or can i get a 160gig ata hd and put it in?

clyde2801

macrumors 601
It should take any universal ata/IDE 2.5" hard drive. I believe there is a samsung 160 gig single platter hard drive that is roughly as fast as a 7200 rpm hard drive. Google 'what is the fastest laptop IDE hard drive' and it will tell you what it is.

Have you already crammed the ram in the ibook to the maximum? I'd try that before I replaced the HD. Look up the instructions to do so on http://www.ifixit.com . It's not exactly an easy thing to do. Good luck!

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
england
lol cheers dude the rams in the post :p,

im just listening to music and between the tracks i can hear the disk whine before the next tracks played, so

and sweet, so no limits then, just seen a 160gig ata on ebay for pittance <3

an no worrys about the instructions, i've got the service manual for the book, looks tricky but not impossible ;)

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I replaced an original 80 gig hd in a 12" powerbook with a 250 gig wd, and I could tell a night and day difference boot up, shut down, and disk intensive applications.

Oh, you have 512 mb of ram. Put in a 1 gb chip in there while you've got your system apart putting in the new hard drive.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
england
cheers guys, :D not wasting money on a 320gig though dont need that much,

an yeah clyde, thats what i planned on doing ;)

Cave Man

macrumors 604
cheers guys, :D not wasting money on a 320gig though dont need that much,

If there's anything I've learned in all these decades of computer use it's:

1. You can never have too much RAM.
2. You can never have too fast of a processor.
3. You can never have too much hard drive space.

Cracking open an iBook is one major job. I'd hate to have to do it twice.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
england
And also consider iscroll2 to give you some two fingered scrolling action for your original trackpad.

HA! thanks for that, ya read my mind haha wondered why nothing was happening when i tried that :D

If there's anything I've learned in all these decades of computer use it's:

1. You can never have too much RAM.
2. You can never have too fast of a processor.
3. You can never have too much hard drive space.

Cracking open an iBook is one major job. I'd hate to have to do it twice.

thats why my G5 downstairs has 1.5Tb HD with 5 gigs a ram ;)
i only bought the iBook to be a glorified EBook reader haha

clyde2801

macrumors 601
You know, the 12"ers are still some pretty sweet little machines. Great form factor. My 75 year old dad switched to mac last year when he bought a 12" 1.07 ghz ibook with a cd reader, 768 mb of ram, and it's still a pretty usable machine.

I like the mini powerbooks a little better due to their aluminum chassis and slightly better video card, but it's basically the same machine. Functionally, they've got the processing power of modern netbooks with some improved features like usable keyboards, bigger trackpads, and combo/super drives. IMO, the only reason to get a netbook (hackintosh or not) over a later g4 ***book is if you have to occasionally use a windows program as well as osx. They can also run 10.5 without having to spend the better part of an afternoon or weekend configuring the stupid thing.

If apple could figure out a way to stick the internals of the most recent mac mini in that same 12" case, I'd buy one in a second.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
england
seems a bit daft dude, mac mini in a G4 book case?

a mac mini is basically a laptop missing the keyboard mouse and monitor,
would seem a bit daft trying to shoehorn all that into a smaller space

mariov

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
I have an ibook G4, upgraded old HDD with a 160 GB 5400 rmp samsung, wich was very cheap. Great upgrade.

And max the ram. Leopard will run, not fast, but fine for most uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.