HD and RAM question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by walleyealx, Oct 22, 2006.

1. walleyealx macrumors member

Oct 22, 2006
    Ok, dont laugh or anything, this is a serious question.

If I buy a new macbook pro, can i take the RAM and HD out of my new dell and put it in that to upgrade it. Im pretty sure its compatible by the specs of both machines.

any input would be appreciated.. thanks!
  2. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    Just make sure the RAM is DDR2 PC2-5300 or better and the drive is SATA. You should be fine.

I doubt you will want to swap out the HD, though. It's buried in there and your Dell drive is probably no better than the Apple drive, so it's pointless.
  3. walleyealx thread starter macrumors member

Oct 22, 2006
    my dell drive is 100gb 7200, where the macbook would be 80gb 5400.
  4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Unless you have the hard drive replacement done by an Apple tech, you do run the risk of voiding your warranty. Hard drives are user-replaceable on the MacBooks, but not on the MacBook Pros.
  5. walleyealx thread starter macrumors member

Oct 22, 2006
    whoa! did not know that... i think i might have to get a macbook then.

Could you link me to where it says that? (its not that i dont believe you i just want to read into it more)

6. PowerMike G5 macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2005
    New York, NY
    A HD replacement would void your warranty I believe, unless it is done by Apple itself ...
  7. aquajet macrumors 68020

Feb 12, 2005
    Replacing a hard drive (in a PowerBook, at least) will not void your warranty per se, but Apple isn't under any obligation to repair damage you incur during the process. So any evidence you leave behind can and will be used against you. And of course Apple isn't obligated to support third party hardware. So if your new hard drive fails, it's up to you to contact the hard drive manufacturer for a replacement. I've confirmed this with an Applecare representative, but you might want to do the same with your MacBook.
  8. Carguy172 macrumors member

Oct 8, 2006
    Not replaceable oh well gotta take the good with the bad.