Hd and Ram upgrade opinions??-IMAC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Souljas, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Souljas macrumors regular

hey, this is my first ever post on macrumors, but I have been a homepage speculator for about 1 and half years. Anyways seeing that youve sorted out the above problem can anyone give me some advice.

I run an iMac 800mhz SDrive (very first one), i have a 512mb ram (2 x 256mb), but have been feeling the mac under a bit of strain in PhotoShop, and the ILife's, even though i dont really overtax the number of programmes open. Is it worth me upgrading the user acessable ram to 512mb taking the system to 712mb
    , or,
    changing the hard drive to a larger 160gb Maxtor 7200rpm (from my current factory installed 60gb @ 5600rpm). In the future I hope to do both but for now I can only really afford one of the options

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hi.

how much space of ur 60 have you used?

i know some photoshop work is very hard drive dependent but that is only the case when you are working with huge files, and if you need to ask how big is huge, then your not working with them, hehehe, its serious rendering and multiple layers.

when you say ilife do you mean imovie in particular?

if your hardrive is very full, then that could be causing the bottle neck on top the the fact its 5400; so if thats teh case (it being full) then maybe go for the upgrade.

but if it isnt, then id opt for the ram upgrade, its cheaper, and ram always gives new life to older computers.

3. Souljas thread starter macrumors regular

maybe your right, i have only 1gb left on my Hard Drive.

My photoshop files arent massive, but i do use quite alot of imovie, tunes, and photo simultaneously which really is starting to slow majorly

4. Souljas thread starter macrumors regular

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

With only 1 gig left, the HD is *definitely* your number one concern. Panther regularly uses the HD for scratch space, and you'll see much better performance if you increase the amount of free space. If you could delete 10 gigs right now, I'd bet you'd see a massive performance increase, without upgrading anything.

Did you do an archive and install when you upgraded to Panther? Now would be the time to get rid of those old Jaguar files.

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    1 gig left!!! BROTHER YOU NEEEEED TO CHANGE UR HARD DRIVE!!! either get and external or a new internal. the link u posted seems right, i think that will work

7. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Wow... I remember back when I could look at my drive, see 10 mb free and say "plenty of space!" :D

8. Souljas thread starter macrumors regular

cheers, i well probabally try to get an external hard drive, or maybe an internal one if im daring ;)