HD Backup

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by flyin3d, Apr 4, 2004.

1. flyin3d macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I want to move up from Jaguar to Panther and was told to backup my HD and install it clean. About half my hard drive is used now and I was wondering if I should partition the drive, and back up to there in order to perform the clean install or is there a more preferred method?

Thanks,

Justin.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

If you partition your drive then you will loose all of your data. Right now there is no way to partition an HFS+ drive (which is what Macs use) w/o loosing the data. You'll need some kind of external source like a LOT of blank CDs or an external hard drive.

Yes I would certainly do an erase and install when you upgrade to Panther otherwise you'll run into a ton of problems down the road. It may be a good investment to get an external hard drive for back up. It generally not a good idea to backup your data on the same drive. If you do and the drive goes bad then your data backup is kinda useless.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well... that's not true. :) you can use GNU Parted with the HFS+ patch which will allow you to do everything you have to so you can make a second partition on your HD and keep your data.

there's a thread right here about using Parted on HFS+. have a read. although you will still have to back up your important stuff. there's alot of people who have had sucess with Parted, but there's always the possibility that something goes wrong.

if you're feeling confident, read up on the Parted manual and go for it! :D

i'm going to resize on of my partitons soon, but i haven't done it yet, so i can't really help you.

4. flyin3d thread starter macrumors newbie