HD Cable Box Questions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ibookowner2, Dec 29, 2005.

1. ibookowner2 macrumors regular

ibookowner2

Why does my box have usb 1.1 ports and firewire, any ideas. I looked in the manual it came with and nothing I tried to google it also nothing.

2. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

it probably something that the providers can use or possibly to connect to the computer to download the videos but i assume that the providers are disabling that for a reason ... just call them im sure they can give you an answer ... unless its time warner, then you neeed to fight with them.

3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Mine has a SATA, USB 2.0, and Firewire port (front and back) but they are all disabled by my carrier. Most carriers in fact disable them for some reason, my best guess to why would be to keep people out of any I/O ports that could lead them to tamper with the device or move the video/media to their computer.

I have a Motorola DCT 6412 III the III is important as its the lastest revision to the line and has none of the previous bugs that the I and II had, along with a HDMI output. http://broadband.motorola.com/catal...eries III Product Data Sheet 524553-001-a.pdf

Ed

4. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

5. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Most providers cripple those ports up so you can't move the content to another machine (easily). That's just another way for Cable providers to secure the Content a little bit better to those boxes I believe.

I guess the Media Giants would go nuts if those boxes shipped with working firewire ports and you could move videos,movie's to any system you wanted to. :cool:

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Your cable box really has a SATA port? :confused:

Also you should call your provider and ask them to enable the FW ports. They are required to comply. Of course, if you aren't interested in using it, you can choose not to.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Why are they required to comply? Not that I don't believe you, I just never heard such a thing. I'd love more info.

8. Cfg5 macrumors regular

The FCC requires cable companies to do so. A lot of them still don't have them enabled, but if you call them up they should enable them (it's just a firmware update on the box).

9. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

That is some good news. Can you transfer data back and forth with this enabled firewire port or just use it to stream your own content onto the tv?

10. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

on my cable box SA2200 you can connect a usb keyboard and push F-somthing ( i forgot) and it will take you to a unixy environment. Also you can change the channels using the number keys.

11. ibookowner2 thread starter macrumors regular

ibookowner2

bursty do I need to have developer tools installed, and also I cannot find SDK 18 it now says SDK 20.

12. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Check out this page. I'm not sure if your box is supported or not, but mess around on there and see if you can get it to work.

13. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

What page? :confused:

14. ibookowner2 thread starter macrumors regular

ibookowner2

15. ibookowner2 thread starter macrumors regular

ibookowner2

On one page it says I need a samsung 165 and on the other it says I don't. Which one is it, I'm trying really hard to get this and I keep hitting obstacles.

16. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty