HD Cable Questions about Wii/360

Discussion in 'Games' started by Winstonp, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

Yesterday I switched my PS3 from my HDMI cables to the A/V cables. On a 32" HDTV with 720p resolution, the difference was substantial. No joke, with the A/V cables (480i), "Resistance : Fall of Man" has the same graphics as "Call of Duty 3" on the Wii.

Has anyone noticed a difference in graphics using Wii component cables?
    Has anyone noticed a difference in graphics when using 360 component cables?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wii component cable slightly improves the 'clarity' of the picture but not the resolution obviously.

360 on component is still 720p/1080i/1080p and excellent and far higher than the wii.

COD3 on the 360 looks significantly bettter than COD3 on the wii (I have both - I got sick of RedSteel and traded it for COD3 to see if it's any better, but controls are just as bad).

Even if you switch the 360 to Standard Definition, there is still a significant difference in picture.

You can tell the textures although displayed at SD like the wii, are more detailed. There are more reflections, more effects, better lighting, better particle effect, reflections.. The list of differences is quite big and yes this is by playing them side by side at SD.

A 360 / PS3 game at SD will still be better graphically than a wii even with component 480p.

But the difference isnt as glaringly obvious as HD versus SD admitedly. But its still there.

3. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

Thanks for the info. I have made HD preparations for all of my machines now.
    Wii-Component
    360-Component
    PS3-HDMI

Unfortunatly, my TV claims that the HDMI signal "is not found" quite frequently. I may have to return my costco TV, again.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I find HDMI is finicky too.

5. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

The HDMI handshake is really annoying. I wish there was a real alternative. I shouldn't have to turn devices on in a specific order to get them to work.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah and its annoying that sometimes they dont handshake and it causes your say dvd player to drop down to 480p or SD, so you have to restart your machines and change the settings again.

HDMI is very overated. DVI was much better even though it doesnt carry sound.

7. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Simply switching from composite to component, for me, improved color substantially.

Switching from 480i to 480p improved overall quality (in Zelda, at least, since that's all I play) a great deal, as well.

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Same here, going to compent for Zelda was the difference between night and day. Composite cables are a great way to make any HD set look like crap.

Some games on the Wii don't support 480p. I know this is true for Rayman, not sure about COD3?

The Wii's version of COD3 is basically just a rehash of the Cubes COD, so don't expect to see anything Wii-tasitic until developers have a few notches under their belt.

Red Steel is uber cheese, especially when it comes to some really stupid enemies. But at least it looks better overall than Fight Night on a PS3 and that's not saying much. Even though this is just another cliché overly repetitive FPS, with some of the lamest enemies I've encountered, I'll take its vastly better control setup over an aiming-inhibiting-gamepad any day of the week. Thumb aiming, blah, talk about the biggest travesty to happen to FPS gaming in general.

<]=)

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What I dont understand is why with almost 12 months extra development time and all the extra benefits of the cell, the PS3 version looks crap compared to the 360 (almost) launch title ? shocking....