HD cloning and related discussion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PHARAOHk, Jun 2, 2004.

1. PHARAOHk macrumors regular

Is there a way to backup select programs so that instead of manually installing numerous CDs you can just import them with all your settings and everything?

If not, and you have to clone an entire drive does it literally clone EVERYTHING? I mean random folders on the desktop and computer-wide preferences including individual program prefs?

Just a little confused.

2. Frisco macrumors 68020

Not sure about the first part of your question, but:

SuperDuper

Carbon Copy Cloner

Both will make exact copies of your System (exact clones). This includes everything!

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

1. There's no easy way to do this - it's actually EASIER to just clone the entire drive so you know you have everything.
    2. Yes - programs like Carbon Copy Cloner copy the entire hard drive - desktop, per-user settings, per-machine settings, operating system files, programs, EVERYTHING! They even have the ability to make the clone bootable so you can use the clone as an emergency system.

4. PHARAOHk thread starter macrumors regular

Cool! Does it even include all of the System updates like the ones you get from system prefrences? If so, that can save me tons of time. OK, thanks a lot for all of the help.

5. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yup. Basically, if you use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone you HD, it makes and EXACT copy of your HD. So if something were to happen to you primary HD, just plug you backup HD into a computer, and it's like nothing ever happened.

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

It is often overlooked, but Disk Utility in Panther has the ability to clone a drive. It's free and there's nothing additional to install. You paid $129 for Panther, so take advantage of it's built-ins.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Carbon Copy Cloner is free too, and unlike Disk Utility, can create a bootable clone (technically CCC is uncrippled shareware).

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Disk Utility will create a bootable clone. I've done it.

9. PHARAOHk thread starter macrumors regular

Since I don't need bootable why wouldn't I use disk utility? I really just want to avoid the need for downloading system updates and reinstalling all of my audio editing software if I have a problem or if I want to transfer my workspace to my future G5 when, or if, they get updated.

10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

How on earth do you do it, then? I thought Disk Utility only made disk images, checked/formatted drives, and repaired permissions. I suspect it has to do with the Restore feature, but isn't that disk-image based too? CCC doesn't use disk images at all.

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

CCC uses the same technology as Disk utility - it can output .dmg files just fine. I do it all the time for imaging my lab Macs with ASR.

13. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

When I got my wife a new hard drive I mounted both drives in her PowerMac. After I formatted the new one, I went to the Restore tab in Disk Utility and dragged the icon for the old hard drive into the source box then dragged the icon for the new drive into the destination and hit the "make it so" button. When it was done I shut down the Mac and took out the old drive. The new one boots and works great.