HD content coming to iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joebot33, Jan 9, 2007.

1. joebot33 macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2005
    La Verne, CA
    With the Apple TV hooking up via HDMI and component... any idea when we should expect HD content to be availabe in the itunes store? I have been holding off buying any movies off of itunes because i want to be able to watch HD movies on my HD tv with the apple tv. I'm a little surprised that they didn't announce any HD movies with the launch of Apple TV
  2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    If there were ever any plans to sell HD movies through iTunes, they would have been released today.

I think we'll see HD (or even DVD quality) movies when we get music above 128 kpbs, in other words, never. :rolleyes:
  3. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    That's probably because aTV isn't shipping until late Feb. or early March and requires the non-existent iTunes 7.1.

Eric: Never say never. aTV doesn't make much sense without this, and by limiting the aTV to 720p they serve a large swath of the HDTV owning market, but don't directly compete with HD-DVD/BluRay.

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    Apple needs to buy a few more server farms before it can realistically expect to offer downloads that are hundreds of MBs, even a GB or two. The cash is there...I can see it happening. Rebuying HD versions of things bought in SD would kinda suck.
  5. Metatron macrumors 6502

Jul 2, 2002
    This is the biggest draw back for me and is why I will continue to purchase and rip my dvds / hd-dvd's in the future. Apple's itunes was originally rip,mix,burn. Worked great with itunes. Buy music, rip your current cds. Now buy movies, screw the already owned dvd's. I will not buy any itunes digital products until music is at least 192 bitrate and the movies are at least 720p. Not 620x480. I wish apple that would make an app. to rip movies to itunes, but we all know the MPAA will chew that up and spit it out. Until then, it is worth the trouble to own the media, make my own h.264/aac contect that works with Apple TV/iTunes and have full quality and small file size. Thank God for mac the ripper and handbreak.

Yes, I was ranting. :D