HD-DVD / Blu-Ray and Apple Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alexmilton, May 17, 2006.

1. alexmilton macrumors newbie

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I was wondering if anyone can confirm that the cinema display can be used to display video from Blu-Ray or HD-DVD (or regular DVD for that matter). I assume you'd need a device with HDMI output and could use a HDMI to DVI cable to connect the machine to the display? I'd really like to know if this works well as I'm seriously considering buying a 30" Apple display to use with my MacBook Pro but would also be interested in using it to display High-Def video. I can also see it being really useful for multi-player games when Playstation 3 comes out as this has HDMI output, so I was thinking one player could use the Apple display and another the 36" CRT in my living room (assuming it can output to different displays simultaneously as I'm sure I saw mentioned in the original spec). Many thanks in advance for people's opinions about this.

2. ender78 macrumors 6502

As far as I know, the cinema display does NOT support HDCP. HDCP is going to be required for Hi-Def video playback. Its important not to confuse the resolution of a 30" cinema display and a 30" TV. LCD pannels require scalers to change the native resolution of the content to the resolution of the display. DVD content looks way better on my DLP tv than it does on my 24" computer LCD.