hd-dvd blue ray updates?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by plunar, Mar 23, 2007.

1. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

haven't heard anything for a while; general consensus this is NOT going to be on the new iMacs coming out?

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I can only hope that with Leopard is going to come Blue-ray support. If Leopard supports Blue-ray, I am going to exchange the superdrive in my PowerMac G5 with a Blue-ray drive. I just hope the Blue-ray drive will fit inside the PowerMac G5 case.

3. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

There is a company, MCE, that currrently sells a blue-ray drive for the Mac Pro, it comes with Toast 8 for about $700.00. You install it yourself.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Why wouldn't a Blu-Ray drive fit inside the PowerMac case? They're all just normal 5.5" drives.

Leopard does support the UDF2.5 filesystem used on HD DVDs and Blu Ray discs, but I'm not sure what other hardware has to be in place to allow for high-def playback within an OS. I think a full HDCP-supporting graphics card AND monitor are required, otherwise the signal will be down-rezed before it ever hits your screen.

5. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Now about this HDCP thing...

Currently with the PS3, you don't need to have a HDCP monitor to watch blu-ray content in full quality (I'm almost certain). I know that's one of the written requirements of blu-ray for copyright protection reasons, but at least for the first round of discs that are out, its not enforced. Probably because they're trying to get blu-ray to catch on I Guess.

So I wonder if Apple would be slack on this too. Or I wonder if this is controlled by the disc if it would even matter. I'm not in full understanding of how all this HDCP stuff goes down.

6. cube macrumors G4

It's the disc that is not requiring the player to restrict HD output to HDCP. The players are not slack.

When the fascist discs come out, your non-HDCP monitor will be worthless.

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

All that is true at the moment... on discrete devices. No discs yet implement the flag that says "downrez if HDCP isn't present."

However, all the SOFTWARE players on Windows so far DO THIS ANYWAY if you do not have a complete HDCP path to the monitor. And, as far as I remember, the GeForce 8800 is the only card out at the moment that is fully HDCP-compliant, so unless you have a GF8800 and a monitor that supports HDCP over DVI (like the Dell 2007 or 2407, and many other recent models I'm sure), you're screwed.