Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Warner has gone totally BluRay.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/22507036/site/14081545

There is no way HD-DVD can survive now, with only 2 major studios on board (Paramount and Universal). It will be interesting to see if this makes Universal go neutral, but I guess that depends on what kind of deal they have with the HD-DVD camp. Paramount are of course stuck with HD-DVD for the next year or so after signing their exclusive deal back in the summer.

I am sure Sony had something to do with this, but then it does make sense for WB as 300 on BluRay far outsold the HD-DVD version, even though the HD-DVD version had more extras.

Sony's revenge for the BETAMAX debacle......

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
To appreciate....

I always knew Blu-Ray would win. I'm thrilled to see this happen.

I've got a computer setup that will satisfy my needs for at least another couple years, but I look forward to purchasing a Blu-Ray equipped mac the next time I upgrade.

For now, the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray on a 23" ACD is only evident when you put picture and picture side by side. Once you're in a film, it doesn't matter.

The quality of these HD formats is evident when you get to a decent size screen. That's not going to happen based on the limitations of the human eye at 23" and in fact the bigger the better. Distance is another factor but I don't agree with folks on that entirely based on experience.

Of course I'm seeing this from the other side of the spectrum at 106" but at 42" or better, you really can appreciate HD. Hockey and movies done in HD formats especially.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Lots of the BR titles were mpegs and had lots of bad titles with artifacts.
HD-DVD was using VC1 and producing consistently great results.
BR I think has moved now to the microsoft format of the VC1 for better consistency in the production.
The Blu-ray studios have been choosing AVC often lately but have used VC-1 and even MPEG-2 when it made sense for the source material. In some cases VC-1 or AVC would have looked worse because of artifacts introduced by the compression algorithms, sometimes AVC was best while VC-1 was chosen at other times. The Condemned is an example of when Lionsgate chose VC-1 at a higher bit rate than HD DVD was capable of in order to produce the best picture on Blu-ray.

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
I'm not buying any kind of hi-def DVD player until everyone is either using the same format or dual-standard players come out for $500 or less.

Do all blu-ray disks have subtitles that work over HDMI? Someone out there must know.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
I'm not buying any kind of hi-def DVD player until everyone is either using the same format or dual-standard players come out for $500 or less.

Do all blu-ray disks have subtitles that work over HDMI? Someone out there must know.
Where are you getting this false information from? Subtitles work regardless the connection and all blu-rays players including the Ps3 support up to 1080p via HDMI or 1080i via component.

running

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
i HATE blu-ray

I feel I will be the only one who didn't just got super-excited-oh-my-god-oh-my-god here, but well, I hate blu-ray.

because of one thing - regions. DVD has this stupid regions and it is making me mad. Blu-Ray has 3 regions, which is better than six (DVD), but HD-DVD has none. Nothing. No regions at all. Simple.

and last thing I don't get is why you all celebrate Blu-Ray is the winner (I guess the war is nearly over). Is it because Microsoft supported HD-DVD? so what? It doesn't have these stupid regions and that's what I care most.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Not like it matters, thats the only thing the PS3 is good for anyways; if you wanted to play video games, you would have bought a 360.

Well isn't that the biggest ball of FUD ever. And no, playing too many BD movies on your PS3 will "wear it out" is utter B.S.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

There is nothing inherently wrong with MPEG-2 encoding. Where space is not a concern, MPEG-2 can produce the same quality image as VC-1 or AVC (MPEG-4). This a myth that has been regurgitated over and over again by people who don't understand video compression technology.

The reason early Blu-ray discs had poor picture quality was because studios were distributing MPEG-2 encoded films on a 25GB BD. At that time, 50GB BD pressing was not readily available.

Now that 50GB BD is available, encoding possibilities are virtually limitless. AVC and VC-1 encodes enjoy a better quality/size ratio. However, MPEG-2 is far from dead and will continue to be used in applications where the quality to size ratio doesn't matter.

That's purely speculative. You would have to compare title to title, and since the "purple" studios only encode films once (usually in VC-1), we will never be able to accurately compare a 50GB MPEG-2, AVC or VC-1 studio encode to a 30GB MPEG-2, AVC or VC-1 studio encode of the same film.

BR I think has moved now to the microsoft format of the VC1 for better consistency in the production.

That's also inaccurate. The vast majority of Blu-ray disc titles are released in AVC (MPEG-4) encoding as of now.

maxp1

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2005
Wouldn't it be interesting...

if an Apple TV was released with a blu-ray drive? How cool would that be?

I'm sure there's some reason that won't happen.

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2005
DVD will win the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray battle, just as CD won the SA-CD/DVD-Audio battle.
One big difference is that the DVD manufacturers are actually marketing high-def video. I never saw any serious attempt to market SACD or DVDA. I only know about them because I'm an audiophile, most stores never carried them and those that did didn't have marketing stands for them. The video content owners actually want you to view high-def video, while the RIAA consistently opposed high-def audio. It is no surprise, then, that SACD/DVDA died with a whimper.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Blu-Ray has 3 regions, which is better than six (DVD), but HD-DVD has none. Nothing. No regions at all. Simple.

The DVD Forum (who controls the HD DVD spec) approved region coding capabilities for HD DVD in 2006. So far, no one in the HD DVD camp is using it. But the notion that HD DVD "is" exactly region free is a joke.

http://www.dvdforum.org/34scmtg-resolution.htm , Item #6

Blu-ray and HD DVD both contain region coding capabilities. But it's up to the individual studios to decide whether or not to implement it.

The only reason HD DVD's region coding capabilities have not been implemented is because the particular film studios that WANT region coding are on the Blu-ray side.

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
Where are you getting this false information from? Subtitles work regardless the connection and all blu-rays players including the Ps3 support up to 1080p via HDMI or 1080i via component.

Not true when you consider closed captions, which can't be transmitted over HDMI. Therefore, the concern that there be a replacement that actually works over HDMI is very valid.

What I want to know is, is there an alternate format used on blu-ray/HD disks now and is it universally implemented? Higher-def DVD without any kind of subtitle is useless to me and thousands of others who can't hear.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Does anyone care that Blu-Ray has the most robust DRM scheme of the two?
No wonder it won over studio heads.
Surprising that this site would be so excited about better protection against copying.

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2005
The battle is over an arid wasteland called physical media.
I own both but I would suggest that if you are not in the biz then pass on both as they will wither into a boutique sliver of market share.
I buy physical media as my backup, one which is scratch resistant, immune to magnetic fields, fairly robust in a wide temperature range, compact, easily stored offsite, and much cheaper than a second set of hard disks (considering the likely difference, if any, between the download price and physical media price).

The real action is on my media server. If the studios can restrain themselves on the DRM front so that I can store Blu-Ray/HD-DVD movies on disk just like I can DVD I'll be very happy.

mlenger

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Southern California
Amen !

No. That would have also decided it. An earlier statement by Microsoft pointed to their internal position that they would be inclined to make a Blu-Ray external drive available as well, if they feel there is enough consumer interest. The statement was quickly retracted and re-positioned... yet there it sits, like an dark after-image on a window. Microsoft wants nothing less, than to focus primarily on digital downloads and pumping revenue acquired by it through that "float-system", where they get to hold ungodly sums of money from customers who will NEVER be able to get out the full value of what they've purchased in blocks. The physical format war is only a minor distraction for them that they may talk a good game on, but for which they have little long-term concern over.

~ CB

Astute analysis - right you are

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
Last point well taken

There is nothing inherently wrong with MPEG-2 encoding. Where space is not a concern, MPEG-2 can produce the same quality image as VC-1 or AVC (MPEG-4). This a myth that has been regurgitated over and over again by people who don't understand video compression technology.

The reason early Blu-ray discs had poor picture quality was because studios were distributing MPEG-2 encoded films on a 25GB BD. At that time, 50GB BD pressing was not readily available.

Now that 50GB BD is available, encoding possibilities are virtually limitless. AVC and VC-1 encodes enjoy a better quality/size ratio. However, MPEG-2 is far from dead and will continue to be used in applications where the quality to size ratio doesn't matter.

That's purely speculative. You would have to compare title to title, and since the "purple" studios only encode films once (usually in VC-1), we will never be able to accurately compare a 50GB MPEG-2, AVC or VC-1 studio encode to a 30GB MPEG-2, AVC or VC-1 studio encode of the same film.

That's also inaccurate. The vast majority of Blu-ray disc titles are released in AVC (MPEG-4) encoding as of now.

You are right about MPEG-4 as I don't know which BR titles are consistently using now. No matter how you massage it, MPEG-2, yuch.

But I really will miss the download options on updating the HD-DVD OS and the download extras.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Good, get this thing over with. I want one of them to "WIN", if you can call it that, so we can just move on past it.

Years ago, no one thought we would be getting a huge amount of our music from downloads. Especially with how much "BETTER" of an experience you got from DVD-A and SACD. People thought for sure one of those would be the eventual successor to CD. But then, broadband became a very viable option to many people, and music suddenly became something you could easilly purchase with a single click. Sure, DVD-A and SACD have better technology and do sound great. But, for many people, the CDs they already own or the music they can download from iTunes or Amazon or whatnot is just fine. Not the best, but its good enough.

The same thing is inevitable with these HD disc formats as well. Yes, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD offer much more than standard DVD. But, your average consumer is fine with DVD. Especially since we've invested so much $$$ in them over the last 10 years or so. No one would have thought 5 years ago that we would be downloading HD movies with ease, yet I've done it at least a dozen times on my 360, and its a piece of cake. Sure, they aren't 1080p, and all that. But, on my set, they look great. Broadband is getting faster and cheaper, and hard drives are getting bigger and cheaper as well. It only makes sense to just bypass the physical disc and just send people the bits.

So, good for Warner to step up, and make a decision. Because they are right. All this confusion wasn't helping anyone. Now, just get it out of your system, and get these HD movies on a server somewhere for me to purchase and DL. My Drobo is hungry for 1s and 0s.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Not true when you consider closed captions, which can't be transmitted over HDMI. Therefore, the concern that there be a replacement that actually works over HDMI is very valid.
Neither formats use closed captioning. They use subtitles, and they work well in both formats over HDMI; it is located in the menu under subtitles usually referred to as English for the hard of hearing.

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2005
New titles ignore VC1 entirely in favor of the much better AVC. Is there a list of MPEG-2 Blu-Ray titles anyway (so I can avoid them)?

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I buy physical media as my backup, one which is scratch resistant, immune to magnetic fields, fairly robust in a wide temperature range, compact, easily stored offsite, and much cheaper than a second set of hard disks (considering the likely difference, if any, between the download price and physical media price).
If you are relying on dvds, cdroms, hd-dvds or Blu for archiving valuable info, then think again. One scratch and you can have a frisbee.
Blu-ray (due to its increased bit density) is especially prone to this issue of total unrecoverable failure.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
I feel I will be the only one who didn't just got super-excited-oh-my-god-oh-my-god here, but well, I hate blu-ray.

because of one thing - regions. DVD has this stupid regions and it is making me mad. Blu-Ray has 3 regions, which is better than six (DVD), but HD-DVD has none. Nothing. No regions at all. Simple.

and last thing I don't get is why you all celebrate Blu-Ray is the winner (I guess the war is nearly over). Is it because Microsoft supported HD-DVD? so what? It doesn't have these stupid regions and that's what I care most.
FUD
The lack of regions also prevented some new day and date titles from being released on HD DVD by New Line (Hair Spray) at the same time as their Blu-ray and DVD versions because the movie was still in the theaters in Europe. Most catalogue (read older titles) theater releases from 2006 or earlier have been region free. In fact I picked up Bruce Almighty (Buena Vista in UK), Scary Movie 4 (Buena Vista in UK) and Starship Trooper from the UK via sendit.com and they play fine in my Region A Ps3.

Google is your friend. Here is a sight with a list of confirmed region free or all region Blu-rays:
http://bluray.liesinc.net/

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
Blu-ray (due to its increased bit density) is especially prone to this issue of total unrecoverable failure.

This was only true when Blu-ray discs were first released. All current Blu-ray discs utilize proprietary hard-coat technology. This, actually, makes Blu-ray less vulnerable to irreparable damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.