HD-DVD vs Blue-Ray?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zap2, Jun 28, 2006.

?

What is you stand on the format war?

1. I plan to go all out Blue-Ray soon

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. I plan to go all out HD-DVD soon

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. I'm waiting for a price drop in either, then I'll buy

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. I'm waiting until there is a clear winner, then i'll buy

17 vote(s)
    73.9%
  5. I don't own any DVDs, and don't plan to buy any new disk format

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Which do you support? Are you going to buy either player soon? If so, are you going to rebuy your DVDs in either format, or just start buying new disk of new movies, and uses the DVDs to watch your older movies?

OR are you just sitting back and waiting to see who wins, and then you will buy.

Or waiting until a price drop?

Most of all Why, are you doing what your doing?

I'm waiting until the war is fought, and won before i upgrade.

2. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i'd put my money on blu ray, but i'm not buying until one wins and the price goes down. maybe a ps3 once the price goes down would work for me as a blu ray player until they're alot chraper.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If there was no PS3, I'd give HD-DVD the clear victory for the low price and earlier launch date.

PS3 means people will automatically get Blu-ray players by default when they buy the PS3.

On the other hand, people who already own an XBox 360 might find it cheaper to buy the HD-DVD addon, so the advantage isn't that great, but it's still there because the people that weren't planning to adopt either format will find Blu-ray in their home.

Either way, I don't have a HDTV. I'll wait till there is a clear winner.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

None of the above? :D There's always gotta be a few of us.

I have a bunch of DVD's and from my viewings of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD I don't see much difference. I don't have any intention of upgrading any time soon as I don't see it as an upgrade.

At the moment I believe that HD-DVD is in a superior position market wise. Currently an HD-DVD player runs $500 compared to $1000 for a Blu-Ray player. Also I've noticed a few HD-DVD's are HD-DVD on one side with DVD on the flip side. I've actually been mildly tempted to buy these dual discs even before I purchase a player. I also think that a decent amount of people know that there are HD TV's (the HD part of HD-DVD) and almost everybody knows what a DVD is. Blu-Ray means less to an average consumer.

This doesn't mean HD-DVD is set to win in the long run. Blu-Ray will definitely have more players in houses with the launch of the PS3. I don't know that anybody can dispute that. If however Microsoft comes out with a USB attachable player for the 360 as they are said to, and it's around $150 as it's said it might... that could stir it up a bit. I would guess that the drive might be able to be that cheap since the 360 would do most of the decoding of the video/audio and the drive would only serve as a reader.

Ultimately we'll all go with whatever Apple puts in their machines... :)

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm going to wait it out - it just doesn't pay to adopt this kind of technology early - especially when it is unsure whether Blu Ray or HD-DVD will win out, and when players are $1500 or whatever they currently are, as well as limited content and expensive media.

I don't own a lot of DVDs anyway, but regardless I'm going to wait for some of the initial dust to settle, the prices to drop, etc. before I make any purchasing decisions. Plus, to take full advantage of either format, I'll need to buy myself a nice new HDTV first, and technically a 1080p set at that (at least for Blu Ray, since HD-DVD is "only" 1080i) so I definitely won't be making any purchases along these lines for a while. :cool:

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I have waaaay too many DVDs, and am in no hurry to switch formats. I have an HDTV, so that's not stopping me.
    There was a clear qualitative improvement from VHS to DVD. Even my mother agrees. I just don't think Average Consumer Guy/Gal will see a compelling reason to switch from DVD. Frankly, if I had to pick a winner, I'd go with plain ol' DVD. Can you say SACD?

PS3 is the wild card, as has been said many times.

7. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I really don't have any intentions of replacing my DVD collection (which consists of a total of 6 disks :eek: ), but I think that HD-DVD will win. HD-DVD is the "safer" one. I mean they didn't even change the name that much, and I think Sony is loosing its mind over this whole "We have to get Blue-Ray into the PS3, no matter the cost" ordeal. Besides, Blue-Ray seems like the one with the best features (at least IMHO) and it's usually the crappiest format that prevails.

8. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Hd-DVD from a consumer standpoint would make an easy choice just because the name. Imagine George (made up) and his Dad going to the video store, and they see BluRay and HD-DVD next to each other, which one do you think they will automatically lean to? HD-DVD. It has the huge name advantage.

I honestly don't care which one wins, I have to much time and money invested in my current dvd's that I won't be switching over my colletion to either one. The only thing I don't like is it's only adding to consumer confusion.

Blu-Ray does have the PS3 advantage as Sony is packing it with their PS3, which I wish they wouldn't because now I have to pay 600 bucks for their machine instead of 400 like the MS one because of the newer dvd player. I wish they would do it as an add-on like MS, but Sony knows that no one will buy it as an add-on, so they are sticking it to us. Ok I won't say NO ONE will, but most people don't use their gaming console to watch movies on. Some do, most don't.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm going with Blu-Ray on this one....but I won't be getting them anytime soon...too damn $$

Bless

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

It's tough to say how the whole PS3 aspect of Blu-Ray will impact things. On the one hand, if sales of the PS3 are extremely popular, many households will then, by default, adopt Blu-Ray. But there is the cost factor to consider as well. Many people may not even know what Blu Ray is, (some type of fish? ;) :D) they might just want a PS3 because it is the latest gaming machine or because their kinds asked for it, and then when they see the price tag, it may act as a deterrent for them. Others, however, may not have a problem with the higher pricetag of the PS3 because they realize they'll be getting a Blu-Ray player along with the gaming machine, which better justifies the cost.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out...