HD Editing Space?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Rahsten, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Rahsten macrumors regular

Rahsten

I was just wondering on average how much free space does one need available on their computer to edit HD video?

I list in my Signature what I have but unfortunately I realized I have far less available than I had thought. I have about 8-14GB free on my MacBook at any given time(I d/l and delete TV programs from N America regularly which accounts for the flux) and on my External I have about 15GB free at the moment...I'm assuming I'd have to clear up some space...so, how much?

Thanks.

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

HDV? What Editing Program?

HDV? Using what editing software? Apple's Intermediate Codec in iMovie and Final Cut Express uses 3x the space of the native HDV. So that's about 40GB an hour. You need a very large HD to have plenty of space.

In Final Cut Pro 5.1.4UB it's only 13GB an hour.

3. Rahsten thread starter macrumors regular

Rahsten

Well, I guess i'd just be using iMovie because that's what I have and I don't plan on buying any other editing software right now. Can you edit the video directly from an External HD or will it need to actually be on the computer's hard disk?
    If so, I don't think i'll be able to go the HDV path in my Camcorder selection process:(

So much for me to learn! I love it!

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Good luck in deciding...if you ever decide to look at an HDV camera...Multimedia loves this one.

5. Rahsten thread starter macrumors regular

Rahsten

Haha,

I know that's a link to the HDR-HC7 thread without even clicking it!

It's definitely the camcorder I'd like to get. I actually went and played with one at Yodobashi Kamera today...but they're asking WAY too much for it.

6. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Don't Give Up On HDV. You Can Use SD Downloads Temporarily.

No you can still record HDV so you are future proofed. Just download SD from your camcorder at the rate of 13GB/hr.

a 400GB HD costs $100 in USA. A FW Case costs $40. Yes you can use an external HD. It doesn't need to be on the mother HD at all. Just add a big drive to your setup. I hang more than 12 drives off my Quad G5. You can do the same off any Mac including your MacBook.

7. Rahsten thread starter macrumors regular

Rahsten

Ok, that's great to know! I love being future-proofed.

It seems storage is a little more expensive here in Japan. 300GB goes for about 200US and 500GB is about 300US on average.

Well, I think I can clear up about 60-70GB on my current external so that will hopefully be more than sufficient for editing standard def for the time being.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's actually highly recommended to *not* store footage on your system drive as it's a good way to over work the drive and have problems playing back your footage.

Lethal

9. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

As LethalWolfe said, don't edit the footage from your system drive if possible.

This handy widget is useful for estimating how much space you'll need for each project you edit.

10. Rahsten thread starter macrumors regular

Rahsten

OK, i'll make sure to store everything on the HD. I just burned a whole bunch of stuff to DVD and tossed some other things, so now I have about 60GB free on my external.

Now I just need to find the best deal on an HC7.

Thanks for that nifty l'l widget too:apple:

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Unfortunetly that widget doesn't have AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) has an option and that's what Rahsten will be using if he gets an HDV camera.

Lethal