HD Failed verification. (And other problems)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hcopp, Nov 11, 2005.

1. hcopp macrumors regular

Jun 3, 2003
    East Lansing, MI
    So the other day, my iMac 20" 2.0 Ghz crashed. you know, the screen turning grey, "YOU MUST RESTART" box in the middle. so whatever, restart, chalked it up to the ram i just put into my system, and decided to run with it until it happened again.

I restart, my entire iTunes library is vanished, all the files are still there, but no library whatsoever. so i have to move all 55 gigs back into the library. In the same day, two external HDs failed. a LaCie 120 GB that is a few years old, and a cheap IBM travelstar in an external FireWire enclosure. So in the process of trying to reformat these, getting them working, i decided to check up on my internal HD. it took a while, then said "illegal name" "illegal name" and then said it failed verification.

My question is, if i hit "repair disk" do i have any chance in loosing my data? i have been trying to back up all my files, but I dont have the cash for a good sized external right now.

Yesterday, i was just using my computer, and the restart screen came up, but it was all in verbose mode, it was in the top left of the screen, and about 10-15 lines came up saying "you must restart"

I dont know what is going on here, have had the computer for about 6 weeks, and im scared out of my mind i will lose my entire music collection. If anyone could shed any insight on this, It would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Also, I am at work all day, so I probably can't answer any questions.
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I've never heard of anyone losing data from repairing their drive but of course I can't guarantee anything. :p

I hate to think what's making all of your drives fail but I reckon you should probably tell Apple and see if you can get some sort of refund or replacement. Just remember that if they take it back to replace the internal drive, they won't necessarily keep your data so make the best back up possible beforehand. :)
  3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    It sounds like you're getting kernel panics among others things which could mean there are hardware issues. I definitely would suspect any new RAM you say you've recently installed. Are you able to do the standard Repair Permissions? You can also check under Apple Technical Help and run down some links http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302672 which deal with Disk Repair. If you have DiskWarrior, you might want to give that a try, but "Failure" Verification sure points to imminent HD failure and issues. You should be under warranty and should contact Apple asap.