HD icon keeps on moving around after every restart

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by the Natetrix, Nov 26, 2003.

1. the Natetrix macrumors member

Hey I'm having an interesting problem with Panther... My Macintosh HD icon continues to relocate after every restart. The darn thing is supposed to be up in the right corner, but when I restart its like it plays hide and seek with me; sometimes it's in the top center sometimes it's behind my stickies and sometimes it's by my dock. Ok so it is not really a problem as it is more of a bizzare behavior. So what's going on here?

[G4 733mhz, 1.25 Gb, 10.3.1]

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

'fraid i can't help the problem, but you should really only need to restart every once in a while, so i wouldn't give it much thought... i only reboot about half a dozen times a year... are you crashing often?

pnw

3. the Natetrix thread starter macrumors member

I haven't crashed once - knock on wood. Yeah it's like you said it's really isn't the end of the world, but Man that's funky!

4. DVDSP macrumors regular

The same thing is happening to me. It's a pain 'cause I have 3 partitions on one drive and a second drive installed. All 4 icons move every time I use Fast User Switching. The thing I find even more odd is that everthing else on my desktop stays right where it is.

If anyone has a solution I'd love to hear it.

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

great. so when people want to make an AppleScript to make your HD icons run away from your mouse cursor, it doesn't work. then when you're not even wanting it to happen, it just does. perhaps the programmers at Apple have a kind of twisted sense of humor. :p :eek: :D

6. the Natetrix thread starter macrumors member

It's cute, ya know, having to play peek-a-boo with your Hard disk. Yeah...cute... reeeaal cute...

Its not just when I restart, that lil sucker jumps around whenever the screen goes to full (DVD, Games so far).

Help my HD has ADD

7. itmdramaguy macrumors newbie

Yeah mine does that all the time. It is very annoying. I am running a iMac G4 700Mhz 15". This however happened to me in Jaguar also. I don't know why it is not fixed now. :confused:

Gary