HD icon not going to top right corner

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by daggett2, Feb 1, 2007.

1. daggett2 macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2004
    this may sound trivial but it may indicate something bigger?
    on start-up or restart my Hard Drive Icon now rests in top center of my screen. it has always been top right screen.
    prior to this happening i was trying (unsuccessfully) to delete a large .iso file from the Trash using 'Secure Empty Trash.' nothing happened trying to empty the trash this way. (the secure empty trash menu screen just froze) so i force quit the finder and restarted. i have done this before with no ill-effects to the icon.
    any thoughts on why this is happening and if it indicates anything serious is about to happen?
    thank you
  2. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    Have you checked the "Show View options" menu in the Finder?
  3. daggett2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2004
    i had not, but just did. none of the options have changed or seem to apply to this issue. the main HD Icon on any mac i've ever seen automatically always goes top right screen. except for now.
  4. Nosebleed macrumors member

Feb 10, 2006
    New Zealand
    Got a screenshot of your desktop (shift-apple-3/#)?

I've found the drive icon doesnt like being *bunched-up*, and if theres a lot of folders and alias's on your desktop then the Top Centre might be the only place it wants go...

Meaning its a simple case of clearing room in that corner and dragging the icon back, or just happily leaving it where it is knowing either way that nothings *failing*

(Maybe) :D
  5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Jan 1, 2007
    Why not just hide the HD icon. :cool:

6. daggett2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2004
    i did that many times but the same thing happened after each restart. something screwy happened when i force quit the finder.
    the only way i could make it stick was to (view>arrange by>date modified) then resort the whole mess. using the 'secure empty trash' on those files doesn't work for some reason and creates more problems than it's worth. shouldn't be the case, but it is.
    thank u everyone for responding, and have a good day!
  7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Do you have the option snap to grip checked?
    Maybe its time for a disk utility run...first stop repair permissions.

8. daggett2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2004
    option snap to grip has always been un-checked.
    & i think you're right--it may be time for a disc utility run
  9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Sounds like a bad prefs file.

Try moving (or renaming) ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Finder.plist and log out and back in.