HD issues on iBook G4 running 10.4.3

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RamblinScotzman, Jul 2, 2008.

1. RamblinScotzman macrumors newbie

Jun 24, 2008
    Well, here is my issue...

My iBook that I have had since 2002, has slowly started to fall apart. I just put in a new combo drive about a month ago and started seeing some "weird" things going on over the last six months. Basically a lot of slowing down and many spinning rainbow wheels.

Last Saturday I opened up the iBook and started surfing. Things were very slow, so I eventually decided to Restart. After that, I got the question mark folder so I put in my system disk and tried to start up with that. After hours with no luck I headed to the Apple Store. Basically they tried to mount and were not able to do so but told me to try to get my data by using it as a Target disk.

I have been trying that for about two days now and it just doesn't seem to recognize the drive. When I use Disk Utility the drive shows up and I try to verify and repair and I can hear the drive in the iBook trying to work, but basically it just does that for hours.

Since it seems that my HD is a lost cause, is there anyway to save the data on it or is there someplace that would be able to get it for me? I have so much stuff on that thing that I would really like to get... this is a horrible way for me to learn that I need to backup on a regular basis.