HD iTunes Movies purchased from non Windows 7 PC

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mrplow4x4, Jan 4, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 4, 2011
    Is this possible? Sorry if this thread belongs somewhere else it's my first post. I searched to see if I could find any info on this but didn't come up with anything. Been coming here for a few years to get great tips hoping someone can help me out on this one.

I have a Vista Laptop that I use to access an iTunes Library on an HP Media Smart home server and I can't purchase any HD videos in iTunes because it always says I need Windows 7 and HDCP compatible hardware.

Now I'm not planning on playing the HD version of the movie on anything other than my AppleTV 2, streaming from the Home Server.

I would assume that this would work (it works with the HD TV shows I have in iTunes). It seems strange to me that I can't buy HD movies even though I would use an Apple product that supports HD to play it.

Is there some way around this? Maybe make iTunes think Windows 7 is running? I'm pretty frustrated that I want to buy HD movies but can't because of the use cases they didn't think of using their products.

2. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 4, 2011
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So the way around this for me is to buy and download the HD movie on my iPhone then sync my iPhone to my computer and I can stream purchased HD movies to the AppleTV 2. Not the ideal workflow but it works.