HD noise question (C2D MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by manosaurus, Nov 4, 2006.

1. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

There is this small but noticable clicking sound coming from the left side of the notebook. It usually happens every 10 seconds or so but sometimes I won't hear it for a while too. Sometimes there will be just one click and then sometimes one click will be followed by another. It definitely is either the HD or the upper left fan but I really can't tell. It does sound similar to a clicking sound that my video iPod makes from time to time which is what makes me think it is my HD.

I am not necessarily thinking that this is a problem but I just wanted to see if everyone else has noticed this on thier notebook.

2. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Why don't you run hardware diagnostic with your install DVD? I think it would be worth a shot. If it is a failing HD, it should catch that and you can ask for the repair by Apple.

My C2D MBP does not make such a sound. So, I don't think that is normal if it is loud.

3. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

I ran the regular HT and the extended HT and no trouble was found. Any other ideas or input? This seems like it would be a normal thing but what do I know.

4. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

Actually, I think the noise may be the left fan. There is a small click and I can at that time hear (listening very closely) a constant sound that sounds like an air flow. Then there is a somewhat more prominent click and I can hear the air flow stop.

Could the fan be faulty? Is it possible for me to somehow check this?

5. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

6. iBorg20181 macrumors 6502

iBorg20181

My MBP doesn't have anything that sounds like this - you should take it in to the Genius Bar at an Apple store to have them do a quick check.

iBorg

7. wstohner macrumors member

i have a similar clicking noise - one or two faint clicks every 10 or 15 seconds. i think it's just the hard drive working (normally). i've had failing hard drives and they click much louder. overall, ive found this hard drive to be much more quiet than my previous cd mbp (80gb).

8. mopppish macrumors 6502

It's quite possibly the hard drive.
    Don't worry about it unless it's loud.
    My ibook did that when I first got it last year, and I let it freak me out until I realized it worked absolutely fine (and still does, but alas I've replaced it).
    My new MBP has the same sound, but it's much fainter. I think that some hard drives just aren't as absolutely silent as others.
    Mechanical devices can have slight tolerances in their build that still allow them to operate completely up to spec (and for just as long as the silent ones).
    Hope that helps.

9. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

So you guys think that it is definitely the HD? I don't even know how a HD actually works but is it in line with what I described:

Faint click followed by a faint air or spinning sound (I can only hear this air/spinning sound if I listen with my head to the keyboard)

then

the air or spinning sound ceases as a more defined click takes place.

Is that waht a HD sounds like?

10. miniguu macrumors regular

If I stick my ear literally on the left speaker, I can hear the HD do little electronic burbly noises...and this is only when flogging the processor. It kinda sounds like the sound some desktop HDs make, only much much quieter. Not noticable until you get real close to the source.

11. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

"electronic burbly noises"?

Is there any clicking like I described?

12. miniguu macrumors regular

As far as I can tell, the burbly noise is coming from the HD, not the fans. I wouldn't say it's a clicking, and it's very soft. It's most like the sound some desktop HDs make..not sure how else to describe it ;)

13. Erlend macrumors newbie

My macbook pro C2D is making the same click sound, hardware check says it's okay - so it could be a normal thing ...

14. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

You think it's normal that your computer makes noises that you notice? :confused:

15. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

I don't actually care if my computer makes noises so long that I know it's not a hardware issuse that's causing the noise. And yes, it is normal for a computer to make audible noises. Oh and you don't even have this model of computer so what are you taking up space here for.

16. Erlend macrumors newbie

The sound is getting weirder, now "it" clicks every 5 secs. I've no idea if it's the harddrive. Already did a hardware check in loop mode, and no problems where found.

I'll be making a record of this sound ...

17. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

Did you make that recoding yet? I am curious to see if we have the same sound.

After doing some reading it seems that this noise might be caused the hard drive "parking its head" during the "thermal calibration" process (er, uh, something like that.)

Does anyone know how to explain this process to me and if it would cause the described sound?

Thanks by the way for all who have replied!

18. macjay macrumors 6502

For all those mentioning whether or not they have this clicking sound:

which speed C2D MBP do you have?
    what is the size, brand and model # of your HD?

19. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

20. Erlend macrumors newbie

21. fatfat macrumors newbie

hi everyone, my boyfriend seems have the same problem these couple days, and he's been quiet upset and don't know what to do. Hopefully I can help him find some answers in here. I've did a search and this post is the closest match I could found.

Its been three days his ibook G4 keep having this werid sound, at first we thought its the fan. But it is definitely louder than fan. My guess would be like the posters said the "click sound". He mentioned when he lift the ibook, the sound disappears. But when it sits on the table just for few seconds the sound starts again. Is there anything else we can do? I saw some mentioned test from the DVD, I'll ask him tomorrow first thing see if anything come out from the test. In the meantine I also like to know should we call apple for help or should we go to apple store (the closest one is 3hrs away)? My bf doesn't have the protection plan though, would they take his ibook?sorry if I asked too many questions, but we need help :(

Any input would be appreciate. Thanks so much!!

22. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have the normal spindle sound (160GB), like faint rushing air. But, every so often, maybe 20sec, it changes - not really different frequency, but slightly different rushing sound (maybe very slightly different volume). Doesn't seem to coincide with any head movement. Not the left fan, as I can put my ear under machine and it's the area of hard drive.

This isn't a loud sound, by any means, just something varying. I can only hear it in a quiet room. No clicking. These drives have ABLE (Adaptive Battery Life Extender, see Hitachi) that can shut off different components (like arm servo), but leave platter spinning. I don't know if the SMC uses it or if ABLE can create any difference in HD sound.

Just wondering if anyone else has something similar to this on their MBP.

17" C2D MBP stock.

23. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

For anyone who cares,

I have finally concluded that the sound that I reported IS in fact the HD parking its head. It is the same sound that you will hear from the HD when the computer shuts down or goes to sleep. When there is no activity required from the HD it simply goes to sleep. And when it goes to sleep it makes a little clicking sound.

So...

I called AppleCare about this and the rep. I spoke with said that he had never heard of this and that the HD should not park except when going to sleep or shutting down. He recommended that I have it looked at.

But...

I, however, am leaning toward thinking that this is supposed to happen with the HD and that there is nothing wrong with this machine. And besides, I can't let go of this thing for two weeks in case Apple wants to ship it somewhere to have it looked at. Just going to get an external and back up frequntly just in case.

24. nermal0 macrumors regular

My MBP C2D's 120 GB Fujitsu drive clicks as well. Quite annoying. Can anyone confirm that the 120 or 160 GB Hitachi doesn't click? I'm thinking about upgrading it.

25. ElCamino macrumors member

ElCamino

I got the MBP C2D the day before Thanksgiving and my hard drive makes the clicking sound as I use the computer. Its not that bad but I can hear it. I have the Hitachi 120GB hard drive. Also I bought my wife the MBP C2D when they first came out and her MBP has the Fujitsu hard drive and its so quiet you cant hear a thing. So I dont know if its the Fujitsu thats better or just some make less noise than others.