HD problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BelgianHokie, May 2, 2006.

1. BelgianHokie macrumors member

Jun 14, 2005
    I bought a powerbook 15 last summer. i've had some problems lately with spinning beach balls and having to force quit some programs (usualy safari).

today i ran disk utility and repaired some permissions and then went to repair disk (inserted disk 1 of 10.4) and it couldn't

i received the following errors-

many overlapped extent file (with what i guess is an address)

then volume bit map needs minor repair

invalid volume free block count

volume header needs minor repair

The volume MacIntosh HD could not be repaired.

I've googled and searched and either i am not looking at the right things (i am quite a moron when it comes to mac issues) but i either can buy some software and wait for them to ship it to me since it needs to boot from cd (would take a month to get here...i'm in afghanistan) or i can reload my OS from scratch.

are there other options?

if i reload....will i lose all my data? i put my entire cd collection (35GB) on there since i didn't want to lug my cd's with me and i need my music as a diversion to everyday living here.

i just placed an order for an external hard disk...hopefully it helps with the job of backing up. i have a lot of pictures and whatnot on the drive that are one of a kind.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

now if i r
  2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    Okay try this first. You want to run fsck.

Restart and hold cmd+s on startup. When it gets to the prompt, type in

"fsck -f"

and it should come back with "disk has been repaired"

type "fsck -f" again and repeat until it says the disk appears to be OK.

Then type "reboot" and you'll be back to normal.
  3. BelgianHokie thread starter macrumors member

Jun 14, 2005
    thanks...will give it a try...

i want to say that there are two forums i visit...this one for macs and one for martin guitars (umgf.com) and both are full of people willing to help.

i would like to say macs are a hobby for me but i work with computers and networks all day. i do know that i have more learning to do with them. maybe this will be the start!

will let you know....going to try it in a few minutes.

4. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    Good luck. It really isn't hard to do at all. It sounds much more complicated than it is. If you remember what MS-DOS looked like, it's just like that.

I'll be sitting here for a while, so I'll check back in a bit. Hope it works.
  5. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Neither fsck, nor Disk Utility (a GUI-packaged version of fsck) will fix overlapped extent files.

To fix them, you need either a more robust form of disk utility, like DiskWarrior or Tech Tool Pro, or try following the directions in this article:

6. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    Ah, overlapped extent files. Mmm.. delicious. Missed that part; I just saw volume needs repair along with the other junk just about every computer I've had tells me all the time.
  7. BelgianHokie thread starter macrumors member

Jun 14, 2005
    even with...

the overlapping extent files....

all appears to be well.

i ran the command line tool twice. the second time was clean. after the first it said fixed but, i wanted to make sure. i've run disk utility after rebooting and it shows up with green text...all is well..

i've printed out the instructions and i will not do the hard shutdown unless absolutely necessary. i've had problems with programs hanging.....maybe that was it. i'll run disk utility more often.

i keep getting messed up permissions today. i'll keep an eye on that.

thanks for all your information and help. my blood pressure is down...my bac will go up shortly with dinner!

8. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    Glad to hear things are well. Guess a little fscking never hurt anyone :).