HD Radio

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Bibulous, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thread resurrection!

I have the same question.

I haven't heard from anyone who bought an HD radio, to learn what they think of it.

The HD Radio: iTunes 'Tagging' Feature Announced story was the last I heard about HD Radio at all.

Anyone own one?

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I don't but I know it comes with some higher end head units (Alpine, Pioneer, etc) so people may have it and not realize it or care.

I've heard it and don't think it sounds all that great (like a 96kbps mp3 at best). I'd rather pay for XM, which I already have through DirecTV, honestly. The quality is much better and the programming ... well, it's light years ahead.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Is HD radio the same as DAB radio we get in Europe? I'm not up to scratch on foreign radio.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

HD radio is the same crap on FM at a higher sound quality. Get satellite radio instead. I've got Sirius and it's awesome. Around 150 channels, no commercials, no censorship and nationwide coverage.

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

FYI, FM sound quality > DAB sound quality.

FM is more difficult to get sounding good, but when it's set up properly (with a good reception), it's streets ahead of DAB. DAB is MP2 usually 128 kbps, which sounds absolutely goddam dreadful. FM radio sounds far better, especially when radio stations choose not to compress everything to the Nth degree...

7. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Right on Sirius Rocks! (No Pun Intended :))

8. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

im going to switch to one it seems now everything is going digital :(

9. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i got a JVC headunit with HD Radio about a year ago, i like it, but i live just a bit too far south to get most of the stations all the time, but it very nicely switches back to FM when it loses the signal, as long as the stations have it synced right you cant tell, cept for the slight loss in quality, its not night and day difference like HDTV but it still sounds nice

pretty much every station here has an HD channel now, some even have...i cant think of the phrase, but they have secondary channels that play more of the same type of music, but with out commercials most of the time, and with little DJ talk.

what i REALLY like about it...is the JVC ipod adapter that connects to the 6 disk changer input so i can listen to my ipod straight out of the dock connector

my advice would be, if you want a new headunit, get one with HD, they arent that much more, if not, the difference isnt really worth the upgrading

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Isn't AM Supposed to sound much better in HD.

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Argh... we recently switched to DirecTV with XM radio, and I miss Sirius on DISH. :(

On topic.... I have considered getting one, but I don't really see the point, I'm pretty happy with my FM/AM and Satellite radio.

12. ceiph macrumors regular

sirius is where its at i will say hands down theres no way i could get rid of mine

13. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

anyways am quality sucks regualry

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

AM is 99% talk radio anyways, so it doesn't need great sound quality.

Also, the whole "HD Radio" is a stupid. The sound quality might be a bit better but nobody is really going to notice. And it should just be called Digital Radio.

15. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

ive heard it said like this

HD FM ~ CD Quality
    HD AM ~ Old FM Quality

though we dont have any HD AM stations here yet, so i cant say for sure

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That is what I heard as well but I was wondering if anyone has listened to it.

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

18. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Everyone listen to Killyp:

This absolutely 100% true. I studied this at uni last week - it's shocking.

In the UK, the government is selling off these frequencies/spectrum for other uses - leaving the bandwidth available for this use too low - hence the digital compression.

Seriously, FM really is incredible if you sat down and listened to it properly. Please don't get sucked into this 'Digital is best' boll0cks - digital is compressed to neck and sounds lifeless in comparison.

19. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Radio? People still listen to that? :D

Seriously though, enjoy the HD listening :)

20. todd2000 macrumors 68000

It's not the sound quality of FM that I have a problem with, it's the static, and the commercials. That and the fact that the only station that played the Genre I liked went off the air. FM actually sounds great if you can get a strong signal. I like my Sirius because I can listen anywhere and never lose a signal, or get any static or commercials.

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You forgot to mention that satellite radio doesn't play the same crap over and over. That's my favorite part :D

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Satellite radio is meh. Can't get BCN or BRU on there so its pretty useless :/

23. tommyz23 macrumors newbie

Caution! The sound quality on DirecTV is better than what you get from the portable Satalite radio units. I have DirecTV and had an XM radio in the past. For some reason the DirecTV feed is much higher sound quality, they maybe using more bandwidth.

24. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I just read the posts made by FireArse and Kamera RAWr, and got the strangest sense of deja vu....(sorry for being off topic)

25. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Interesting. That explains why it doesn't sound as good in the car (like 128kbps). A friend of mine has XM in his and it was definitely still better than HD Radio hands down which, like I said, was like 96kbps at best (I'd rather deal with the occasional FM static). I could definitely hear the digital artifacts. I won't be buying one on purpose or at least just for HD Radio.

What my ears hear:

Source: mp3 quality

HD Radio: 96kbps
    XM: 128kbps
    DirecTV XM: 192kbps