HD really taking of with next gen Consoles ?

Discussion in 'Games' started by takao, Jun 13, 2005.

1. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    so after all that bitching and moaning about the chance that the Nintendo Revolution might not have HD as standard or that they aren't planning with it according to some comments..

so i'll ask over here: do you think that it will really take off (like sony perhaps is planning for their TV department ;) ) or that it will continue to live it's miserable life like it does here
    so far i haven't met a single person who owns a HD TV, is planning to buy one the next years or knows person who does own one or is planning to own one
    heck even those who have all 3 current consoles and all possible nerdy gadgets say that they won't buy a HD TV within the next years
    i feel like i kinda missed something ... so far they haven't even agreed on a HD broadcasting standard in europe (besides the obvious france vs. germany they even have come down to agree on a german one) or even for the HD optical discs (blue ray vs HD-DVD)

while i would kinda like the idea of better looking games/TV/movies, it kinda looks more likely on a 5+ year scale ... perhaps 10 years even

(that aside the first german HD channel is about to launch this fall for a whooping 15 € a month)
  2. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2005
    HD has started with the current gent but it's really going to take off this gen. The price of HDTV has drop to an affordable price for regular folks. Nintendo is definetly shooting themself in the foot.
  3. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    i don't know ... 1500€ for a 1366 x 768 (not 1080 hdtv standard) is hardly affordable in my point of view.. others retail for 3,5 k ..with the same resolution

the only cheaper "HD ready" one i found (1200€) had even only 1024x768 which is is not that much better than PAL anyways and was from an ultra cheap no name brand

it's kinda like the old chicken-egg problem: as long as there are no hd-tvs around no channels gonna swallow the extra cost and when there are no HD tv broadcasts no one will buy those (wicked expensive) HD TV sets
  4. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2005
    You brought a point that I failed to mention : Geographic location. In NA, the HDTV is getting very accessible. This week I saw a toshiba 51'' HTDV for less then 1400$ (canadian).

We also have satellite and cable provider that have HDTV content. We are going to see more and more HDTV broadcast and content over the next years or so.
  5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I was planning to save and buy a small HDTV for the next gen consoles. Dunno.

I don't think it will matter in the short term, but in the long term (with analog cutoff date being 2008, the console life being till about 2011) it will matter big time.

I'm hoping Nintendo will have the connector.
  6. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2005
    I don't know what made Nintendo to take such approach. The GC did support HDTV with their previous model.

If you get the chance to buy an HDTV, go with Hitachi or Samsung. They absoluty have the best image quality / price ratio.
  7. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    I think HD will take off huge in the states over the next 3 years. The problem is competing standards, and an immpossibly difficult learning curve.

With 720p, 720i, 1080i, 1080p and different networks broadcasting different resolutions, but reverting to 480i for some shows the commom man has no idea where to start. Not to mention, LCos, LCD, DLP, plasma, projection, etc.

It's all too damn complicated.
  8. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2005
    I agree. Shows resolutions varies depending on how popular the show is. American idol resolution was simply incredible but during other programs, it was barely acceptable.
  9. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    analog cut off by 2008 ? :eek: looks like i really missed something

i don't know a single hd tv channel is available at the moment looping the same 20 hour demo stuff since somewhen last year... how many hdtvs are installed in the US ? (i just found out that japan uses a different HD standard for broadcasting somewhere around 980 pixel x something lower)

i smply find the current prices simply way too high... it somehow looks like all developers will have to develop for both hdtv and lower resolutions and that for years ... if not a whole decade (HDTV is _that_ much off over here)

will be interesting how they gonna sell that "feature" over here

well i hope nintendo will offer it as additional hardware (for my north american NTSC tortured friends ;) ) perhaps bundled with the dvd player thingy but personally i'm all for keeping it out because i'm pretty sure it migth drive costs up seriously i guess we're gonna see that on the ps3

(on the other side im mighty interested how microsoft will fit all that HD content on the normal dvd disks .. i heard other voices wh oalready state that all 3 consoles are not powerfull enough to drive the full 1080 something standard with the 1.9k x 1k something pixels with all the antialiasing etc.)

yeah and that's why im kinda cautious with calling it a fact that nintendo ruled in out .. i pretty much thought that they simply will make it an otion like with the GC (it was actually only interlaced afaik but i'm no expert .. just like i had no dolby pro logic II ;) )

the big question will be how they are gonna promote HD over here for driving up sales of tvs .. next years world cup will be recored with HD but i think that won't be enough
    2 years of further stagnation and the 1080 HD standard could very likely end up pretty much dead
  10. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    In 2008 there will be a mandatory change to DIGITAL television, NOT to HIGH DEFINITION television. There's a big difference.

There is no mandate that says HD by 2008.
  11. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    I recently hopped on the HDTV bandwagon and I'm loving it. I just got a HDTV, WS, 34" Panasonic and it's gorgeous. I got the HD tuner from Cox and I get about 10 channels in HD. CBS, NBC, ABC, ESPN, Discovery, INHD, INHD2, Starz and a bunch of movie channels. It seems that Dish and Cox are adding more and more channels as the months pass. Either way I can't imagine viewing TV any other way. It's a superb technology.

12. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    In Australia analog TV is being fazed out, and will be replaced by DVB standard and high definition, all shows are already broadcast in standard digital, and a heap of shows are broadcast in HD, personally I hope the next gen consoles do bring down the price of HDTV, I've been looking for a new TV lately but for the life of me I can't even find one that does 1080p so my wait continues. I want a DVB-HD 1080p HDTV with a HD tuner built in, here's hoping! :)
  13. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    maybe in a few years

same here, not a single person i know has a HDTV, or plans to get one. not even the rich guys!

seems to me people will only get it when its phased out. much like Analogue TV in the UK is now forcing people to use digital, something only a minority has.

ive told myself when i do finish uni and get a job (or win lottery, whichever happens first :D) im gonna get myself a HDTV. a real good one, at least 42". ive had my bedroom TV for a few years (ex-living room TV) but before that i used a 20 year old 28" TV quite happily. so spending a lot of money on a TV will be justified and be a good investment. that'll be in 2 years when i finish university though!

sorry to get into this, but as far as i can see the Gamecube is the only console using HDTV at the moment. well... its got a HDTV port on the back that my Xbox sure hasn't got. which is why im certain the Rev will have HDTV support too, most definitely. as well as the obvious fact that if your console can play bluray/HD DVD's then surely there will be HD output? correct?

ps. i have no problem forking out any amount of money for a high quality TV, an apple computer, good bed because they'll all be used to death :D
  14. zulgand04 macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    Northborough, MA
    I think it is a good thing. Here in the states, the surge in digital/HD televisions are just about to hit the main stream. The FCC just chnaged the mandate to this comeing march to have all tvs 25+ (might be 28) capable of reciveing a higer digital signal.

On the diffrent standards its a good thing. one example would be sports, sports in HD are better with a 720P res then with the 1080i. And the other way around 1080i is better for movies and such. 1080p isnt even going to be considered for a while since its only aviable on very large high end aka expensive sets. Once the price goes down to a comparable level to analog things will change quickly and we are on the verge of that time. HD/Digital tv has been a long way comeing in America with the first broadcast stations changeing over in late '97 we have come very far from them. Along with we finally have cable companies in on the game, in my area and most large cities offering all local channels that broadcast in HD, along with many of the cable cannels that offter HD too. for something like 9-15 a month.

Its smart to get on the HD bandwagon because things are just about to pop, even if you have a 720 tv its an improvement over analog, and (like GFLPraxis said) with the life span of these systems HD will have taken off and become main stream by the time the ones after these come to market.

I think Nintendo is amkeing a bad move, even though i love the comapny i don't see them being the company they once was.

15. spaceballl macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah as far as the cut-off date, it is for DIGITAL, not HD. Also... that cut-off date has been pushed back so many times before. Wouldn't be surprised if it happens again... Keep in mind that there are millions of Americans out there who can't afford computers like us to chat it up on messageboards, but still sit around the TV at night...
  16. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    It's way simpler than you make it out to be.

There is no such thing as 720i. 720 is always progressive. Further, although 1080p exists as a standard, no entity (broadcast / cable / dish) sends a 1080p signal. The closest thing to 1080p is 24 frames per second movies which are really 1080i signals that become progressive with the magic of reverse pulldown (which is used on standard definition interlaced broadcast as well).

720p and 1080i are the two standards of relevance today. 720p's advantage of 60 full frames per second make for a hyper-realistic effect. 1080i's conventional 60 fields per second (30 frames divided into 60 time samples at one field each) gives a more traditional TV effect.