HD Recovery?!?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by phonemonkey, Aug 12, 2004.

1. phonemonkey macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2004
    I have a powermac G4 sawtooth with 2 hard drives. The one I had mastered was from an ibook (with a 2.5-3.5" converter) and had all my info on it (apps, pics, mps's etc). I had another 160 GB drive as slave that I was planning on moving everything over to and selling the ibook drive. The other night I watched a dvd as I was going to sleep and when I woke up and tried to wake up the computer it had a black box telling me I had to restart the computer. Well when I did that the comp. wouldn't boot. I messed around with different configurations of the ide cable and zapped the pram and found this out:
    1. When the ibook HD is connected to the IDE cable the computer wont
    boot, no matter slave or master
    2. When it is not attached the 160 GB HD will boot fine.
    3. When I have the ibook HD on the cable and boot from the os x cd
    disk utility does not pick up either drive.

I think the HD is kaput but does anyone have any idea on how I can at least recover the info from the ibook cd? If the drive doesn't work I can work with that but there is some information (address book and mp3's mainly) on the drive and a few apps that I need to get off of there.
    Thanks in advance,
  2. emc2 macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2004
    Either Seattle or Kona...
    I am pretty sure that the Sawtooth will not support a 160GB HD unless you install an 2nd IDE connection via one of your PCI slots. Someone back me up on this, I seem to recall hearing that the older G4's wouldn't handle such a large drive because they only sport a 100MHz front side bus. I would check with the drive maker. I think that 120GB is the max size...but don't quote me on that figure.
    As for the other drive, Alsoft's DiskWarrior 3 is a great program for rebuilding HDs and data recovery. I would go there first. It is about $70 to buy, but once you need it, it pays for itself. Heck, put it to work recovering your friends HDs....good luck.
  3. phonemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2004
    It wont support 160 because of the addressign, but it shows up as 128GB. I got it because it was cheaper with the rebates than the 120's.
    Thanks for the advice on diskwarrior.
  4. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    just a heads up, if the software doesn't work or it is a failure somewhere in the hard drive itself, you will have to take it or send it to a recovery place. they can extract the data for you a burn it to cd or dvd. prices vary, so shopping around is a good thing. it is a bit expensive though, it isn't always worth it.
  5. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT

do you have an iPod?? You could at least then get back your mp3's, that's better then nothing. :)