HD rental only on apple tv?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Holmez, Jan 21, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Hi,
    is it only possible to rent HD movies with apple tv?
    i have a mac mini connected to a 46" full hd lcd screen, so it would bee nice wacthing high def movies :)

2. macrumors 68000

FreeState

Only available on a :apple:TV and once you rent it the movie can not be moved - its :apple:TV only.

3. macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

too bad... but I heard that maybe the studios didn't want HD copies of their movies floating around on computer hard-drives, in case someone breaks the DRM...

4. thread starter macrumors member

a little sad that consumers that invested in a product like the mac mini as a mediasenter will not have the same deal as the ones who spent less cash on a apple tv :(

5. macrumors 68020

samh004

Apple never marketed the Mac mini as a media centre.

6. macrumors member

ouch, didn't know that. I almost got a Mac Mini instead of an Apple TV last week.

7. macrumors 6502a

I've said this before and I'll say it again....I think it's fair. If you own an appletv you get the luxury of having better quality rentals and purchases. I think its nice. I think it gives people a good incentive to buy an appletv. Plus, you don't need perfect quality if you're watching it on your iPod or computer screen.

8. thread starter macrumors member

but would be nice to see HD if you have your mac mini connected to a TV and a home cinema :)