HD tapes vs. SD tapes

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by matto889, Mar 24, 2007.

1. matto889 macrumors newbie

Not to sound stupid but can you only record HD to an HD tape or can you record HD to a miniDV tape?

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

You Should Use Maxell HDV Metal Evaporated Tape ONLY @ $4.50/reel

You can record to both but you will wear out your heads using Metal Partical DV tape instead of professional Metal Evaporated tape. It's a completely different tape formula - nothing like consumer DV tape at all. Choose a brand model and stick to it. Otherwise you will have problems. I just spent two days writing a report on why Maxell Pro HDV tape is the way to go @$4.50 a reel, including a microscopic view graphic on how the tape is constructed, on the Sony HDR-HC7 Camcorder thread. Are you reading this thread yet?

3. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

You can record either HDV or standard-definition DV on a MiniDV tape - they use the same bitrate, so as far as the digital information is concerned, the HDV format is not more demanding than DV.

Having said that, when things go wrong (read: worn out or damaged tape), a bit error (dropout) in HDV material can have a much bigger impact than with DV. Look up "HDV" on Wikipedia for a more detailed explanation. Bottom line is that many people invest in higher-grade tape for HDV to reduce the probability of dropouts, and those higher-grade tapes are often sold as "HDV" tapes.

- Martin

4. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I use Sony's DVM60PRL. I only use them once and buy more when needed. So I never have a problem with dropouts. The tapes are fairly cheap so that I can keep all my videos on the tapes instead of transferring them all to a hard drive or a DVD...

I haven't had any problems with them and to me high def tapes are over rated and expensive...

Nuc

5. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Maxell Metal Evaporated HDV Tape Is A Breakthough Product @ only $4.50/reel

That was true until Maxell came out with this new Metal Evaporated (ME) model in January for only $4.50 a reel. This is $4.50 less than any other "HDV" Sony model to date. The DVM60PRL is Metal Particle (MP) tape and will wear your heads down much faster. But depending on how much video you shoot, it may not become a problem.

It's not a good idea to change tape brands and models without a thorough head cleaning due to the build up of one lubricant on the heads that will get mucked up if you change brands or even models due to the large differences in lubricant formulas among different tape brands.

There is an even bigger difference between MP and ME tape. They are quite different tape designs containing completely different ingredients. ME is the way to go for HDV for several different reasons explained in my report.